PDA

View Full Version : Why we love the hobby

orly57
02-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Every time I go on to N54 lately I feel so much negativity about the hobby. I post as much as anyone, so I am by no means pointing fingers here. I thought it may be nice for us to post our favorite card from our childhood so we can remember what we love about collecting. Mine is a tie, and certainly not pre-war, but they did inevitably lead me to pre-war baseball:

rdixon1208
02-20-2017, 08:40 AM
I loved the Bo Jackson bat on shoulder card too, but Dave Justice was the man!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Av7gLyYTL._SY450_.jpg

yanksfan09
02-20-2017, 09:00 AM
My first real favorite card was this one... I traded my brother a Nintendo After Burner game for it! He originally won it in a "chance" raffle envolope for $1 at our old local card shop!

Later on after 1996 my favorite card probably became my 1993 SP Jeter rookie that I forgot I had sitting in a box of "commons" before Jeters rookie season.

Thankfully the Jeter survived decently and is now an SGC 7. I still have the Jeter and the McGwire (raw).

cardswin53
02-20-2017, 09:47 AM
I pulled a Stan Musial in one of the first packs I can remember buying as an eight year old in 1961. Still one of my favorite cards. It started me on my goal of collecting all of the St. Louis Cardinals cards from that year. I turned 64 on Saturday and am still collecting Cardinals cards and memorabilia. 262644

orly57
02-20-2017, 11:03 AM
David Justice, Ben McDonald, junior Felix, John olerud, and all the guys whose rookies were supposed to pay for my retirement! Justice's DecK High numbers was the Bell of the Ball in 1990.
Erick, I love the Nintendo reference, trading with your brother, and remembering the ancient local card shop. That is our childhood condensed in one post. Just missing a garbage pail kids reference.
I love that the Musial card led to a lifetime of a focused collection too.

BruceinGa
02-20-2017, 11:25 AM
I pulled a Stan Musial in one of the first packs I can remember buying as an eight year old in 1961. Still one of my favorite cards. It started me on my goal of collecting all of the St. Louis Cardinals cards from that year. I turned 64 on Saturday and am still collecting Cardinals cards and memorabilia. 262644
I also was introduced to baseball cards in 1961. I loved the Yankees and Tigers but I wasn't a collector. I had plenty but we would flip them most of the time. After about three years I gave away all that I had. :cool:

71buc
02-20-2017, 11:25 AM
These two for me

Al C.risafulli
02-20-2017, 11:42 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/Novocent/cutrube.jpg

I bought this card in about 1980, when I was 10 years old or so. It came from a place called Dollars & Sense, a card store in Ridgewood, NJ. I didn't have much money as a kid, and the owner took pity on me and created a shoebox filled with T206s and 1951 and 52 Bowmans, all off-grade, just for me. He'd charge me fifty cents a Bowman, and $1 a T206. I'd go there once a week with my allowance, buy a couple of packs of new cards, and spend the rest of my $5 on cards from that shoebox.

Then I'd go home and show them to my grandfather, who would tell me stories about the players.

It was the stories that got me, and still do - I love this stuff, the older the better, because I love imagining what it must have been like when baseball was just taking hold in this country. Most of it was just legend - there was no TV, very little radio, so it was all imagination. If you were a kid, baseball cards were the only way you could find out what players looked like, especially if you lived in a place where there was no pro baseball.

What's amazing about that is that today, since there's very little video from those times, we're in the same boat - we have to depend on legends, photos, cards, etc. to try and imagine what players looked like, what their voices sounded like, how they played. And there are so many mysteries to solve - how did the cards get issued, why were certain players included or excluded, how were they distributed, why certain cards are more rare than others. It's part poetry and part archaeology, all wrapped around the greatest game ever invented. I can't imagine any more relaxing or gratifying hobby.

-Al

sterlingfox
02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Baseball cards were a big part of my adolescent youth. I recall getting a factory sealed set of 1987 Topps cards at the age of 11, and then again a set of 1988 at 12. I'd mark up the checklist as I rummaged through the box.

Baseball was my favorite sport, and I was hooked! I'd drag my older friend (who could drive) to as many local card shows as possible and I'd buy a cheap box of junk packs (well, they weren't junk back then lol) and have fun breaking it open at home.

I remember walking a few miles down to a local card shop, buying a pack of 1990 Leaf, pulling a Ken Griffey Jr, and thinking that I'd just struck gold!

My favorite cards at the time were of Will Clark, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Ben McDonald, Mike Mussina, Bo Jackson, Mark Grace, David Justice, Cecil Fielder, Kevin Mitchell, Gary Sheffield and many others.

One day, while at work with my mom (I was maybe 13), a colleague of hers struck up a conversation with me and said she owned cards from the 30s and 40s. She brought them in the next day and my jaw dropped. I saw Goudeys and Play Balls that I vowed to some day own.

Around the age of 16 or 17, I stopped collecting for a number of reasons.

Fast forward more than 20 years and when my wife said that I should "get a hobby", I remembered how much fun I had as a kid, so it was a no brainer :D

MartyFromCANADA
02-20-2017, 12:30 PM

I collected cards before I 'picked up' the Shayne Corson rookie card in 1989, but I must say, this is the card that started my obsession with card collecting.
Shayne played junior hockey in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario and was then drafted to my favorite hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens in 1984. For a seven year old kid, it felt like someone I knew made it to the NHL. Almost 30 years later, I still pick up his cards when they come up. (Variations and such)

This is most likely the reason I collect George Gibson. Gibson was born and lived just a few cities over from Hamilton, and I'm sure subconsciously, when I realized the proximity of where Gibby was from, I wanted to collect his cards to get to know him. Now I do...Ha!

Thank you Shayne Corson.

drcy
02-20-2017, 12:33 PM
The items. The people who get caught up in the grading, half grades, VCP, PSA registry, investment potential, CU stock options, are those who get caught up in that stuff. If one wants, one can simply focus on the stuff.

btcarfagno
02-20-2017, 01:00 PM
My favorite card as a five year old.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Baseball/77/77-564Fr.jpg

Tom C

KingFisk
02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
My favorite card as a five year old.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Baseball/77/77-564Fr.jpg

Tom C
Nice, I loved that one too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Prince Hal
02-20-2017, 02:29 PM
I started collecting sometime in 1968 when my father bought the Sunday newspapers and brought me home a pack of baseball cards. I was hooked. I suppose that simple weekly pack reminds me of my father and how baseball and baseball cards were an early and continuing bond. Don Mattingly brought me back and at some point I ventured into pre-war. I made sure to open packs with my son when he was young and even though he's in his twenties now every Christmas has a box of Topps for us to crack open. I suppose the father-son connection is a big influence on why I still collect today.

Enfuego
02-20-2017, 04:09 PM
I haven't been around as long as some of the Vets here, but I do know when I started collecting in 85 and going through them with my grandfather, it WS the best. I'm trying to do the same with my daughter

bmattioli
02-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Growing up in the 70's I always loved the 72 and 75 sets.. I swore I'd buy the '75 set once I got a good job. Joined the Air Force in 1984 and bought the '75 set at a show while stationed at Sheppard AFB attending Tech School in Wichita Falls TX. It has followed me around all these years and would never part with it..

Second nod goes to my '55 and '56 Clemente cards my late Dad gave me..

pokerplyr80
02-20-2017, 04:31 PM
My favorite card as a kid as I stated collecting in 1989. These are a few I own now.

Golfcollector
02-20-2017, 05:00 PM
My days of collecting started in my small hometown of Ceresco, Nebraska. The summers were filled with playing games of pick up baseball, basketball and football with friends. On Saturday mornings we would ride our bikes to the local park which doubled as the baseball diamond for our town team.

I don’t specifically remember the first pack of cards I would have purchased, but it was likely riding home from one of these practices. Blodgett’s IGA grocery store was the place to go as there was no better excuse after a hard baseball practice than stopping to get some candy, Big League Chew bubble gum, and a package or two of Topps baseball cards.:D

orly57
02-20-2017, 05:05 PM
For guys our age, the 89 UD Griffey was the pinnacle of collecting. Despite that, I once traded one of the two I owned for a 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas (which was on fire at the time). Still own the very Griffey and Thomas cards. Jesse, your Griffeys are awesome.
Now that we are older and have a few bucks, it is cool to buy the stuff we lusted after as kids. I bought myself a complete collection of first series Garbage Pail Kids a few years back. Also bought a few unopened packs of First Series, and ripped them open. I started collecting when they were already by the Second Series, and despite having my grandmother drive me around all of Miami searching for a first series pack, I never found one. No ebay or Amazon to help me then. Almost 30 years later, I finally opened The elusive First Series pack. The thought of owning an 86 Donruss Canseco has crossed my mind on a few occasions, as that card was untouchable ($100 on Beckett) back in the day.

KingFisk
02-20-2017, 05:10 PM
For guys our age, the 89 UD Griffey was Pinnacle of collecting. I once traded one of the two I owned for a 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas. Still own the very Griffey and Thomas cards. Your Griffeys are awesome.
Now that we are older and have a few bucks, it is cool to buy the stuff we lusted after as kids. I bought myself a complete collection of first series garbage pail kids a few years back. Also bought a few unopened packs and ripped them open. I started collecting at second series and despite having my grandmother drive me through all of Miami searching for a first series pack, I never found one. No ebay or Amazon to help me then. Almost 30 years later, I finally opened a first series pack. And the thought of owning an 86 Donruss Canseco has crossed my mind on a few occasions, as that card was untouchable ($100 on Beckett) back in the day.
Oh man, you have to get an 86 Donruss Canseco and a Bill Ripken FF...They were amongst the first things I purchased when I got back in. It was like finally scratching a 25+ year-old itch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CW
02-20-2017, 05:12 PM
This card was in one of the very first packs I ever opened as a kid. Still one of my all-time favorite cards.

http://i.imgur.com/vneMcp3.jpg

seattlerainiers
02-20-2017, 05:16 PM
This card was in one of the very first packs I ever opened as a kid. Still one of my all-time favorite cards.

http://i.imgur.com/vneMcp3.jpg

Now that's what I call honest wear. Love it.

pokerplyr80
02-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Yea Orlando I had a 90 Leaf Thomas back then too. Not sure I would have parted with an ud Griffey for it, but may have if I owned 2. When I got back into collecting it was one of the first cards I picked up, after a few Griffeys of course.

I had a few garbage pail kids cards as a kid but wasn't as into them. No series 1 though.

sycks22
02-20-2017, 06:11 PM
I will always remember when my older brother got the SP1 Jordan in the '91 upper deck baseball pack and I was pissed. The next day I went to SA and in my first pack I can running out with my arms raised high yelling "I got the Jordan!!!". I also remember going to the local card shop with my bro and dad most Saturdays to look at my dream card the '90 Leaf Thomas. Tons of great memories with my family opening packs.

JollyElm
02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Someday I want to write a book about how much I love this card from my youth…

orly57
02-20-2017, 06:37 PM
See Jesse, Pete would have approved the trade for the Frank Thomas!

irv
02-20-2017, 07:15 PM

I collected cards before I 'picked up' the Shayne Corson rookie card in 1989, but I must say, this is the card that started my obsession with card collecting.
Shayne played junior hockey in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario and was then drafted to my favorite hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens in 1984. For a seven year old kid, it felt like someone I knew made it to the NHL. Almost 30 years later, I still pick up his cards when they come up. (Variations and such)

This is most likely the reason I collect George Gibson. Gibson was born and lived just a few cities over from Hamilton, and I'm sure subconsciously, when I realized the proximity of where Gibby was from, I wanted to collect his cards to get to know him. Now I do...Ha!

Thank you Shayne Corson.

My most vivid memories are collecting the little stamps that went into this book. (I still have it but punched 3 binder holes in it as a kid. :o)
I remember constantly bugging my Father if he needed gas. He would oblige when he could, but I know he regretted ever getting me started on this set.

I also remember collecting, flipping a variety of different cards from various years in my youth, but distinctly remember these.
I just purchased this Howe tonight. :D

(a few of the other OPC cards I still own)

dclarkraiders
02-20-2017, 07:28 PM
My father delivered bread to stores for Holsum Bread. He would bring packs of cards home for my brother and myself starting in 1972. By far the most packs he brought home were 1975 Baseball Cello or Wax packs. Shown below are 75 Topps Brett and Yount which I pulled out of packs as a 12 year old. I would love to have kept some of the packs unopened but when you are 12 years old all you can think about is opening the packs to see which players you get and hoping for Larry Bowa, Mike Schmidt, Boog Powell or Brooks Robinson,etc.

Great thread by the way. Thanks for starting it

dclarkraiders
02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Also, I pulled the card shown below out of a '73 Topps pack of my favorite Raider as a child.

Duane

Jason
02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
I have a lot of memorable cards from my youth but this is the favorite. I pulled one of these in 1992 from a pack and had no idea what I had. A older kid in the neighborhood got it off me for some basketball cards I believe. Found out later it was among the first autograph inserts and have since added back a few examples. Cant even remember the kids name now:D

orly57
02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
My father delivered bread to stores for Holsum Bread. He would bring packs of cards home for my brother and myself starting in 1972. By far the most packs he brought home were 1975 Baseball Cello or Wax packs. Shown below are 75 Topps Brett and Yount which I pulled out of packs as a 12 year old. I would love to have kept some of the packs unopened but when you are 12 years old all you can think about is opening the packs to see which players you get and hoping for Larry Bowa, Mike Schmidt, Boog Powell or Brooks Robinson,etc.

Great thread by the way. Thanks for starting it

As a kid who collected in the mid-to-late 80's, the Yount and Brett cards were "vintage" to me. I mean, they were older than ME! And again, with no ebay, they weren't easy to find. Those two cards along with the Rickey Henderson and Nolan Ryan rookies were my "vintage" dream cards.

BeanTown
02-20-2017, 07:57 PM
I loved the Bo Jackson bat on shoulder card too, but Dave Justice was the man!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Av7gLyYTL._SY450_.jpg

I met David Justice in a night club in Buckhead during the Atlanta 96 Olympics. He was just going through his divorce with Halley Berry (If he only knew the future). He and Charles Barkley were both at the club and we all talked sports for a good hour. Both guys were fun to be with. As a spin to my story was in my future was the girl that Halley Berry beat to win Miss Ohio. I ended up with the runner up.. lol. I'll take it!

Joshwesley
02-20-2017, 08:15 PM
As a kid the grail for me was the 90 lead frank Thomas.

Finally got one in about 1994 and paid an arm and a leg for it. Still have it at my home office in a screw down case!

Always wanted the 1991 SP Michael Jordan... never could pull one.
I went through an entire wax box once and struck out :(

Got out of collecting from 1995-2015 when I stumbled on this site by mistake....

Instantly, I've been hooked...started with pre-war, but I'm getting a GM-10 Sp Jordan from eBay this week! Spent a good $15.00 on it 😂😎

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-20-2017, 08:26 PM
My brother was in having his tonsils out in 1981, I bought him 3 rak packs of topps. for the longest time we managed to hold onto a few of the original cards from those packs through assorted purges, moves etc... finally lost the last one a couple moves ago and it breaks my heart.

If you ever find a heavily worn 1981 Topps George Brett with "AP" written on the back in black crayon, I'd probably buy it from you!

I do still have my original "directed" collection. In about 1982 I decided I wanted every Steve Garvey card. Then he went to the Padres, but in that short window I did acquire quite a few for a preteen on a budget.

itjclarke
02-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Now that we are older and have a few bucks, it is cool to buy the stuff we lusted after as kids. I bought myself a complete collection of first series Garbage Pail Kids a few years back. Also bought a few unopened packs of First Series, and ripped them open. I started collecting when they were already by the Second Series, and despite having my grandmother drive me around all of Miami searching for a first series pack, I never found one.

Nice! I did the same a few years ago (got 1st through 3rd). I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when GPKs came out and we went nuts over them, and also mostly missed out on the 1st series. Those who had them had trading gold. I remember trading about 10-20 baseball cards, including my only vintage card ('56 Don Zimmer) for Wrinkly Randy. We searched for the 1st series packs too. They were long gone from stores, but there was a random Chinese restaurant named Tongs that was selling them for $11. $11!!!! In 1985! I didn't have that kind of purchasing power in 3rd grade, and so never bought one.

glynparson
02-21-2017, 04:01 AM
it is because i love baseball, i love spending time with friends, i love traveling around to shows and other venues searching for treasures, but most of all i love all the time i have spent with my dad collecting. As for which cards got me into it I guess 1958 mantle all star, 1969 Bench, 1963 Rose, 1964 Stargell are all cards i remember being fond of when i started collecting in 1979/80.

orly57
02-21-2017, 10:35 AM
The Tong's Chinese Restaurant reference made me laugh out loud. Rumors abounded through Milam Elementary that an un identified Tom Thumb Convenience Store still had a box, but it proved to be a myth. It was more elusive than the Ark of the Covenant.

glchen
02-21-2017, 01:02 PM
When I was 11 years old, I saw this card at a card shop at a mall in the city that we went to occasionally. I was able to save enough money to purchase it, and it was the only card of my youth that I ever had in a top loader. When I got back into collecting around 7 years ago, I was able to unearth it, and got it holdered for protection.

orly57
02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Mattingly rookies are often credited for the 80's card explosion. That donruss was one of the wet-dream cards of our youth.

Joshwesley
02-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Mattingly donruss
Conseco 86 donruss
McGwire USA card
Griffey UD
Frank Thomas 90 leaf

Those were the baseball cards I remember the most from the crazy era of cards

Bill77
02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
1988 Topps, Donruss, and Score were my introduction to baseball cards. My mom would bring home packs and sometimes boxes of Topps cards from the store she worked at every day that summer. My brother and I along with a few of our friends would buy every pack we could find in the little town we lived in when we could get money. My brother usually took all of the best cards either for his collection or to trade to one of his fiends. I remember trying to collect Will Clark cards and never being able to keep them, so I started collecting Jack Clark instead because Jack Clark/Will Clark whats the difference right? After several moves and not collecting baseball cards for years I found my baseball cards again, all Jack Clark. Fun times. My favorite card that I still have from the 88 Topps set is the Eddie Murray record breaker with the box on the front.

orly57
02-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Bill, I can cut you a sweet deal on a Dom DiMaggio rookie.

Bill77
02-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Well, I almost went for a Vince DiMaggio from the 1941 Play Ball set. Someone wanted it more than I did as it looked like road kill.

Grammont
02-21-2017, 07:28 PM
'88 Score... was fun having a new card company then when i was a kid... soon after that you knew they were garbage. Upper Deck changed the game right after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buythatcard
02-22-2017, 05:49 AM
When I was a kid, I was a huge Roger Maris fan. Collected all his cards and pasted newspaper clippings of him all over my wall.

My favorite card was the 61 Topps.