PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your responses

Snapolit1
02-15-2017, 05:23 PM
deleted original message, as I really don't want to endanger a person's job . . . . . . .

GasHouseGang
02-15-2017, 05:32 PM
No, I've never seen that. I did a quick search and found the following:

There are a number of exceptions and exclusions to the general gifts rule. Postal Service employees may accept the following items:
Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.

Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.

So it sounds like they are breaking the rules by setting up a tip jar.

clydepepper
02-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Don't want to get anyone is trouble, but has anyone (besides me) seen this? Totally serious. I have no issue giving some young kid making my coffee a tip, or even the underpaid young girl at the deli who I know is getting a crappy hourly wage, but a career postal employee? Really? Seems a little crazy, as I'm sure this person is drawing a decent salary. Actually really really like the individual doing this, just seems a little nuts.

I'd just ignore it...hard to believe their supervisor would be okay with it though.

Rookiemonster
02-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Here's a tip buy Honda stock !

bnorth
02-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Don't want to get anyone is trouble, but has anyone (besides me) seen this? Totally serious. I have no issue giving some young kid making my coffee a tip, or even the underpaid young girl at the deli who I know is getting a crappy hourly wage, but a career postal employee? Really? Seems a little crazy, as I'm sure this person is drawing a decent salary. Actually really really like the individual doing this, just seems a little nuts.

WOW, that is crazy. Postal workers are among the most overpaid people on the planet as far as unskilled laborers go.

I do not feel that way about the carriers, they deserve every penny they get.

vintagetoppsguy
02-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Wow! Never seen that and I'm at the post office a lot. Funny stuff!

Snapolit1
02-15-2017, 05:40 PM
I gave my carrier the allowed $20 gift this year for great service, and he really appreciated it and I was happy to do it. But to face a tip cup every time I come in for some stamps or to drop a package off? Dunno . . . seems a bit much.

GaryPassamonte
02-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Instead of being a tip jar it was probably loose change left by customers similar to what is on retail counters in many places to be used by other customers. It is highly unlikely there would be a tip jar in any Post Office. The clerks and/or local management would be on the hot seat for that one.

Snapolit1
02-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Instead of being a tip jar it was probably loose change left by customers similar to what is on retail counters in many places to be used by other customers. It is highly unlikely there would be a tip jar in any Post Office. The clerks and/or local management would be on the hot seat for that one.

That's what I assumed for the last year . . .then I looked at it and noticed there were always a few singles taped to the inside perimeter of the cup. And it was fully of quarters.

JustinD
02-15-2017, 06:55 PM
I think I would ask the postmaster their opinion on if they feel that falls under the guidelines. I personally find it appalling.

Buythatcard
02-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Never seen that. What's next? Tip jars on the dealer's tables at the card show.

Shoebox
02-15-2017, 09:19 PM

An auction house invoice with a catalog description writer's gratuity itemized along with the vig.

drcy
02-15-2017, 10:48 PM
I volunteer at a non-profit art gallery and during an artists' reception where there was free food and wine for the guests, a guy put a tip in an empty flower vase someone had left on the concessions table I and a woman were working at. I told him that it wasn't a tip jar and that we were were volunteers who didn't even accept/want tips. But there was a crowd and he was too embarrassed to reach in and take out the money in front of everyone. So we treated it as a donation to the gallery.

clydepepper
02-16-2017, 01:58 AM
I gave my carrier the allowed $20 gift this year for great service, and he really appreciated it and I was happy to do it. But to face a tip cup every time I come in for some stamps or to drop a package off? Dunno . . . seems a bit much.

+1 ! - I give my carrier $50 every Christmas

clydepepper
02-16-2017, 01:58 AM

at funeral homes? :eek:

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-16-2017, 04:27 AM
at funeral homes? :eek:

At a briss...

vintagesportscollector
02-16-2017, 05:26 AM
At a briss...

...nah, the Mohel already has a jar of Tips.

buymycards
02-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Tips are absolutely not accepted. Someone could get fired for that. Gifts over $20 should not be accepted, but with the carriers, the transaction is never reported to the anyone, so it does happen.

As a Postmaster, I don't accept any gifts, except for the occasional plate of cookies or candy that is brought in by a customer, and I always share that with my employees. During this last Xmas season a customer sent me a card with $20, and rather than offend this customer by returning it (he insisted that I keep it), I donated the $20 to a local food bank in the name of the Post Office.

Rick

Snapolit1
02-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Glad everyone saw this as wacky as I did. Out of an abundance of caution I am going to delete the title of this thread because I really don't want to endanger someone's livelihood over something so ridiculous, particularly a nice person.

LuckyLarry
02-16-2017, 06:00 AM
My "mail lady" Virginia is awesome! And at Christmas I give her a $20 gift certificate to our local diner (the max gift she can accept). She wrote me a nice thank you card (sent through the mail with a stamp) this lady is squeaky clean LOL!

"As always, I enjoy the job I do and it is my pleasure serving you throughout the year!"

Larry