PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something here?????

Joshchisox08
02-09-2017, 05:33 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391693062530?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l6035&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI391693062530.N43.S1&autorefresh=true

Eggoman
02-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Glue staining & paper losses on the reverse, but a FAB 2!!! I think, anyway...but NOT at $150...

Bliggity
02-09-2017, 06:13 AM
(1) A "2" that presents as a "7" isn't going to sell for $25.

(2) yepbg prices all of his cards 2-3x market and only comes down about 10-20% on best offers. It's not worth dealing with him, you might as well not look at any of his listings.

Joshchisox08
02-09-2017, 06:32 AM
(1) A "2" that presents as a "7" isn't going to sell for $25.

(2) yepbg prices all of his cards 2-3x market and only comes down about 10-20% on best offers. It's not worth dealing with him, you might as well not look at any of his listings.

But I'm the idiot :D

PhillipAbbott79
02-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Well...your offer definitely is low for that card, regardless of whether his ask price is high or not.

He may have called you an idiot because you said it is not a 50 dollar card, and it likely is, then shot him an offer of half of that. If I were a low grade collector that would be a dream deal for 50 bucks, to own a card that looks that good with such minor issues.

If it were a 7, you would be paying 400 to 600 for it.

Joshchisox08
02-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Yes the front looks good but there's def some issues on the back. I still don't think it's a $50 card at least I wouldn't pay that for back damage.

PhillipAbbott79
02-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Yep. There are certainly people that would agree with that.

Overall the card is really nice except for that minor issue on the back of the card.

rats60
02-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Why offer 17% of the price? If someone has their cards overpriced in my opinion, I don't bother low balling them.

PhillipAbbott79
02-09-2017, 01:02 PM
PWCC sold a PSA 5 or 6 cobb with what they describe as a 'tick mark' which ultimately to me is a small loss of paper.

They defended the PSA grade and would not change the description. The card brought top dollar. This is essentially the same thing. One would argue that it should be a 2, but others may argue that it could be a 5, based on how well it presents. If I am not mistaken they changed their standards to account for 'overall presentation'.

There is some staining on the back. That is likely the justification for the price Additionally, we are assuming it is missing paper. The scans are not that great and the listing doesn't say that it is missing paper, even though it likely is.

The front is 6 or 7, the back without the missing paper is a 5 with the staining and with the paper it is a 2. It is priced at the price of a 5. Generally I find that if you try to convince someone that their item is not that nice, then make an offer they are a lot less likely to take you seriously.

autograf
02-09-2017, 01:10 PM
I always use the rule of NOPEBG for YEPBG auctions......................JMO.........

Joshchisox08
02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Why offer 17% of the price? If someone has their cards overpriced in my opinion, I don't bother low balling them.

It's to show them they're overpriced lol.

Snapolit1
02-09-2017, 01:29 PM
My experience with him has been that it very much depends on the card. I have offered 70% of his ask and he has come back and asked for 95%. But in other instances he has accepted my first offer. Odd but I'm sure he has his reasons. Maybe at some point he gets sick of carrying certain cards.
Guy has some really nice stuff. Doesn't owe anyone a low price. If you think he's not worth dealing with I get that. But I've been pleasantly surprised a few times.

rats60
02-09-2017, 04:23 PM

It looks like it's sold, so maybe not.

PhillipAbbott79
02-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Well. You sure showed them and the learned there lesson alright.

asoriano
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
That message alone would be an automatic decline for me.

rhettyeakley
02-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Insulting someone while making an offer on their card probably isn't the best way to negotiate.

He has high prices and I'm surprised he sells anything but they're his things and he can ask what he likes.

Golfcollector
02-09-2017, 08:05 PM
That message alone would be an automatic decline for me.

+1

Leon
02-10-2017, 10:22 AM
+1 ... Live and Learn....That seller has actually discounted something for me quite nicely before.

Insulting someone while making an offer on their card probably isn't the best way to negotiate.

He has high prices and I'm surprised he sells anything but they're his things and he can ask what he likes.

Snapolit1
02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
+1 ... Live and Learn....That seller has actually discounted something for me quite nicely before.

Just did it for me last week. Had a card listed for $1250 and accepted my offer of $800, which I thought was an eminently fair price.

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-10-2017, 11:58 AM
while I tend to agree that this seller's starting prices seem a bit high, if he's anything like me, there is no magic % off that will always get a deal done. It depends on what I'm into the card for, and sometimes even, do I have a big purchase on the horizon and need some cash.

I have to agree that being combative in an offer is a good way to get turned down, and frankly I block people, never because of the amount of an offer, but sometimes because of the attitude. If that's how they are going to act before we even do business, I don't want to find out what they're going to be like when they can actually damage my reputation on ebay.

Joshchisox08
02-10-2017, 02:07 PM

I didn't really have any hopes of him accepting. I hardly look at it as in insult as well. Why someone would shell out that cash for a damaged back is beyond my comprehension.

Luke
02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, you're not wrong about the price, but it doesn't ever do any good to lead off in a confrontational way like that imo.

Head928
02-10-2017, 06:18 PM
If you offered me $25 on something I had $150 then proceeded to bag me on this board ......blocked.

Joshchisox08
02-10-2017, 06:32 PM
And hear I was thinking I was pointing out a card clearly not worth the money and I get ridiculed for perhaps being confrontational or IMHO telling the truth.

RedsFan1941
02-10-2017, 06:33 PM
If you offered me $25 on something I had $150 then proceeded to bag me on this board ......blocked.

^^^^^^ +1

rats60
02-10-2017, 07:08 PM
And hear I was thinking I was pointing out a card clearly not worth the money and I get ridiculed for perhaps being confrontational or IMHO telling the truth.

Then why did the card sell? The seller had his card priced appropriately to sell for a price acceptable to him. I don't understand the point of this thread. It would be one thing if the card had been listed for a long time and was unsold. However, that is not the case. You are complaining because the owner chose to sell the card to someone else instead of taking your lower offer when there are plenty of other options for you to buy the same card. Am I missing something here?

Jeffrompa
02-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Thats way too much . BIN means Buy It Never . The $25 approach is as wrong as the $ 150 price .

Luke
02-10-2017, 08:09 PM
In Josh's defense, that card has been re-listing for a long time. Can't really understand how someone could have bought it for that price and with such convenient timing, but who knows? I've definitely been guilty of pricing things too high and sitting on them for a long time. I'm sure the seller has his reasons for his pricing strategy.

PhillipAbbott79
02-10-2017, 08:28 PM

It's not a 25 dollar card. I would have probably paid 75 for it, so yea. You basically admitted you made him a low ball offer with no intention of buying? I wouldn't say 45 days is a long time. There are some cards on Ebay that have been there at the same ridiculous price for 6 years.

What sort of reaction are you looking for here? Hi fives?

Snapolit1
02-10-2017, 08:38 PM
One guy tries to shame another guys perceived high ball price by making a ridiculous low ball offer. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Offer a fair price and add a note that that's what you think the card is worth and you are not prepared to go any higher. I've offered $500 VCP value cards on eBay and put up with $105 offers with some idiotic comment attached about how generous the offer is. Lots of time wasting to go around.

Leon
02-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Sometimes my opinion has been wrong. It happens.

Snapolit1
02-11-2017, 08:49 AM
It's the card " . . .clearly not worth the money" part that falls flat. Clearly it was worth the money to at least one person.

I just bought something from Huggins and Scott that I am sure many people on the board would laugh at and say "what the hell was that guy possibly thinking . . ." But I wanted it and was willing to pay a premium over "what it is worth."

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-11-2017, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Snapolit1;1629698]It's the card " . . .clearly not worth the money" part that falls flat.

Yeah I have to agree. I never understood people saying "The offer was insulting" when the offer is just a number. However, comments that come with the offer can indeed be insulting, and I feel this crossed that line. Like I said earlier it would've resulted in being blocked from my listings.