PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Info - Baseball Books

garymc
02-06-2017, 04:51 PM
What books, in your opinion, are the best for collectors like myself who love to do research and study the game & cards ?

I have the following;
The Baseball Encyclopedia - ninth edition
Standard Catalog of Baseball Card - 1999 edition
Classic Baseball Cards - Frank Slocum

Snapolit1
02-06-2017, 05:03 PM
I loved the book Mint Condition from a few years ago.

bdk1976
02-06-2017, 05:28 PM
The Old Judge book and Smithsonian Baseball are two of my favorites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bswhiten
02-06-2017, 05:44 PM
The new Mickey Mantle card book is a good reference book.

trdcrdkid
02-06-2017, 06:20 PM
"The T206 Collection: The Players and Their Stories"
"Collecting Sports Legends: The Ultimate Hobby Guide" by Joe Orlando (of PSA)

The Old Judge book that another poster mentioned is "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company (1886-1890)" by Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson (the first two of whom are members of this board)

You mentioned having the 1999 Standard Catalog, but you might want to get the most recent edition (5th, 2015) of the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards. It only covers cards from before 1981, and it includes a lot of stuff that was not known or catalogued in 1999.

Zach Wheat
02-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Lew Lispett's The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards (Vol 1,2 & 3) is indispensable....so much information about so many sets. A great resource.....

Z

garymc
02-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks everybody.....I just put bids on eBay on a couple of used books. Lew Lispetts and The T206 Collection; The players and their stories. Also ordered from amazon the latest issue of the standard catalog of vintage cards. I'm so happy to build an up to date library for my research. Thanks again !!!!!

Kawika
02-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Four books that are at the core of my baseball library have nothing to do with collecting. Instead they deal with the ancient players whose cards we collect. The SABR Deadball Stars volumes are choke full of short biographies, photos, rosters etc. There is also a 19th Century volume. The two Conlon photo books hold a museum's worth of exquisite baseball portraiture. Perusing the pages is 100% pure heroin to the deadball cardboard junkie. There are plenty other books that count as indispensable but my vote would be these four. Taken together they will bring your cards to life.

Zach Wheat
02-07-2017, 05:55 AM
+1 for Kawika's endorsement of the SABR publications. You can find many if not all of the player profiles detailed on SABR's page. The bio's aren't overly detailed, often running 1+ pages, but they were helpful in getting a base understanding of the characters in a set.

Z