PDA

View Full Version : R. G. Laughlin Baseball Sets

Izucant05
02-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here but I'm very active on Blowout. I was told to come here with my questions because the vintage community was bigger. I recently have come across these sets in a vintage collection I have. They're all full sets, 1972 Great Feats of Baseball(blue border) 1972 Great Feats of Baseball(red border) 1974 Old-Time Black Stars, 1978 Long Ago Black Stars and 1980 Famous Feats.

I was able to find some information on them but I cant find a solid value on them. I'm looking to sell all of them and just want to know where they currently stand in the market. Any information would be appreciated, thank you! I included some pics.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/0de3e96d0d7bab06d08531e234d86c6f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/ba7ce73863a4faf42ec0babe78d09999.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/36a78958c99503ef31c67089421b4e05.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/f985bfb1e5501829bae3b1e34b79bcd9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/0c7165b49cfe93b27db12f1958c878fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irv
02-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Neat cards!

Welcome to the site.

Izucant05
02-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Neat cards!

Welcome to the site.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikemb
02-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Welcome!

Your Red Bordered Great Feats cards appear to be cut or trimmed. My cards and most I have seen are about the same size as the Blue Bordered Set. I have seen the smaller cards for sale.

Some recent sales on Ebay were $67 for the Blue Border Famous Feats set, $500 for the Old Time Black Stars Set, sales of $114 and $128.50 for the Long Ago Black Stars Set. I don't know the condition of the sets that sold compared to your cards.

Hoe this helps.

Mike

Izucant05
02-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Welcome!

Your Red Bordered Great Feats cards appear to be cut or trimmed. My cards and most I have seen are about the same size as the Blue Bordered Set. I have seen the smaller cards for sale.

Some recent sales on Ebay were $67 for the Blue Border Famous Feats set, $500 for the Old Time Black Stars Set, sales of $114 and $128.50 for the Long Ago Black Stars Set. I don't know the condition of the sets that sold compared to your cards.

Hoe this helps.

Mike

Yea the Red Great Feats are a lot smaller than the blue, wasn't too sure about it, just thought they both came in different sizes. I saw those Ebay comps but they were all over with pricing so I wasn't too sure. I know condition is key, I'd say mine don't look that bad. Thank you though, I really appreciate it!

laughlinfan
02-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the site! You will find lots of helpful people here if you stick around! As has been mentioned, of course, condition is a big factor. The large Great Feats sets usually go around $80 or so. The two negro league sets have been doing very well these past several years, although $500 for the 1974 set seems very high to me, unless it was in mint condition. The 1974 set has a better selection of popular players, and I think Bob made/sold more of that set than he did the 1978 set. A seller has sold quite a few 78 sets the last few months, so you should be able to see the prices he has been getting. The smaller Great Feats set is pretty cool. They are not trimmed, and I think they were the first of the three versions of the set issued (small red borders, large red borders, and large blue borders). The small red set is pretty tough to come by, and I don't think I have seen a full set for sale on eBay in quite a while, but maybe one or two have sneaked through! For some reason, they do pop up in lots of 5 or 10 cards from time to time. I have learned a ton about Bob's issues, but I don't have a lot of details on the small red set.

mrmopar
02-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Most people (sellers) seem to break up sets like those. Certain players will probably sell much better and then maybe you are left with singles, but I imagine you get the most for your money by selling as singles.

I don't think I have ever stumbled across a Diamond Jubilee set for example. The 2nd Feats set is probably the most easily found of the batch and might be found in set form more than the others.

I loved finding full sets like this when I was filling in the gaps. If you sell as sets, it will make some people much happier for a shot at a set without building it card by card.

laughlinfan
02-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Forgot to add that the 1980 Famous Feats set was quite widely distributed, and despite the nice color compared to his other issues, does not get nearly the prices that the other sets get.

Edit to add: I just saw Curt's reply, and I agree that the individual price of some of these cards has led most sellers to break them up. Bob would have loved to have seen how popular his Negro League sets have gotten!

Izucant05
02-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the site! You will find lots of helpful people here if you stick around! As has been mentioned, of course, condition is a big factor. The large Great Feats sets usually go around $80 or so. The two negro league sets have been doing very well these past several years, although $500 for the 1974 set seems very high to me, unless it was in mint condition. The 1974 set has a better selection of popular players, and I think Bob made/sold more of that set than he did the 1978 set. A seller has sold quite a few 78 sets the last few months, so you should be able to see the prices he has been getting. The smaller Great Feats set is pretty cool. They are not trimmed, and I think they were the first of the three versions of the set issued (small red borders, large red borders, and large blue borders). The small red set is pretty tough to come by, and I don't think I have seen a full set for sale on eBay in quite a while, but maybe one or two have sneaked through! For some reason, they do pop up in lots of 5 or 10 cards from time to time. I have learned a ton about Bob's issues, but I don't have a lot of details on the small red set.

Thank you! I do plan on sticking around and hopefully contributing as well. The small Great Feats stand out the most and were the hardest to find any info on. I have approximately 36 of the small red border, not sure if that's a full set or not, but they're pretty neat, the designs look very nice as well. I don't collect much vintage, I'm more into modern sets so hopefully it can go to someone who will appreciate it.

Izucant05
02-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Most people (sellers) seem to break up sets like those. Certain players will probably sell much better and then maybe you are left with singles, but I imagine you get the most for your money by selling as singles.

I don't think I have ever stumbled across a Diamond Jubilee set for example. The 2nd Feats set is probably the most easily found of the batch and might be found in set form more than the others.

I loved finding full sets like this when I was filling in the gaps. If you sell as sets, it will make some people much happier for a shot at a set without building it card by card.

I did see some cards graded by PSA and some singles were being sold on Ebay but I would prefer to sell as a set and let someone who appreciates it more add it to their PC or have them graded.

Shoebox
02-03-2017, 12:49 PM
About 2 years ago there was a complete set break of the 74 Black Stars set in EX-MTcondition sold on eBay. I won all but 2 of the HOFers becausee I already had them. Spent $200 so I would be surprised if you got more than $350-400 for that set. Definitely agree that breaking them up will maximize your return. I know I have several in the 78 set (Sol White, Leon Day, Ben Taylor) that I would be interested in. If you broke it up would try toI get 1 or 2 from you but wouldn't be able to afford the full set.

JustinD
02-04-2017, 03:55 PM
I would be interested in both of the black stars sets. Please let me know when you list them.