PDA

View Full Version : How do I crack open a PSA tomb?

RichardSimon
02-02-2017, 06:46 AM
I just bought a GPC for my own collection. It is encased in a PSA piece of plastic.
How do I crack this open and allow the GPC to roam free?

alifaxwa2
02-02-2017, 07:31 AM
I just bought a GPC for my own collection. It is encased in a PSA piece of plastic.
How do I crack this open and allow the GPC to roam free?

Strong pliers to snap off a top corner, or tin snips. Get a flathead screwdriver in the gap where the label is, pry layers apart.

Or pick your poison;
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=open+psa+case

egri
02-02-2017, 08:04 AM
I personally use a hammer and chisel. Be sure to try and crack the slab where the label is, so if you slip, you damage the label, not the GPC.

tazdmb
02-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Can I ask-Who signed the GPC?

RichardSimon
02-02-2017, 11:23 AM
It is a 1951 GPC signed by Hank Thompson.

tazdmb
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM
It is a 1951 GPC signed by Hank Thompson.

Wow, enjoy

Scott Garner
02-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Richard,
Go on YouTube and there are some great tutorial videos on how to do it safely. It works like a charm! ;)

scmavl
02-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Why would you want to take it out?!? That slab provides 100%, without a doubt, ironclad certainty that it is a legitimate signature. Jeez, Richard...

;)

Rookiemonster
02-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Very carefully

conor912
02-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Why would you want to take it out?!? That slab provides 100%, without a doubt, ironclad certainty that it is a legitimate signature. Jeez, Richard...

;)

:) ......and make sure to save the slab and the flip, since those are what hold the true value.

Stampsfan
02-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I personally use a hammer and chisel. Be sure to try and crack the slab where the label is, so if you slip, you damage the label, not the GPC.

+1.

I use a hammer and a flathead screwdriver. Place it at the label, and get someone to hold the "card" end of the case tightly so it doesn't slip out and get dinged. Gently tap the label end until it opens.

I haven't had any issues yet.

RichardSimon
02-02-2017, 01:02 PM

;)

Hmmmmm,,, never thought of that. I just was thinking of the poor GPC not being able to breath, being strangled in that air tight tomb.
Hmmm,, authenticity, now you made me think about that issue :D:rolleyes::p

RichardSimon
02-02-2017, 01:03 PM
:) ......and make sure to save the slab and the flip, since those are what hold the true value.

Since that is the TRUE value, can I just auction the slab and the flip (I used to flip baseball cards when I was a kid,, is that the same thing?) on ebay?

vintagetoppsguy
02-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Strong pliers to snap off a top corner, or tin snips. Get a flathead screwdriver in the gap where the label is, pry layers apart.

Or pick your poison;
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=open+psa+case

This is the method I use. The old PSA slabs come apart very easily. The new PSA slabs are much more difficult.

mcgwirecom
02-02-2017, 07:21 PM
I've cracked out a bunch of ticket stubs. Just lay it on a hard flat surface with one corner hanging over the edge. Use a hammer to crack off the corner. then do the same for the other corners and it comes right apart.

RichardSimon
02-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Thanks to all who gave their advice.
Hank is free!!! Hank don't need no stinkin' tomb.
Now what am I offered for the flip and cracked case or should I go to ebay?
:D:o:):rolleyes:;):p