PDA

View Full Version : Yogi Berra HOF Plaque

Snapolit1
02-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Was surprised to see that Yogi went into the HOF with a plain cap and not the Yankees cap, who he of course played his whole career for. Someone told me "the Hall of Fame wanted him to do that" and that there was another guy at the time who also went in with a plain cap. Huh? Does this make any sense to anyone? Though perhaps he did that because it overlapped with the era he had nothing to do with Steinbrenner but was told that wasn't the reason.

canjond
02-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Yogi is a side profile, so I don't think the cap is visible. Also, Yogi went in in '72, and George didn't purchase the Yanks until '73, so that wouldn't have made a difference. It's a bit different for Maddux and La Russa, who both chose not to have a team on their caps.

The-Cardfather
02-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Yogi Managed the 1964 Yankees to the AL Pennant, and was promptly fired by then-GM Ralph Houk for not winning the World Series against the Cardinals. He joined the cross-town Mets in 1965 as a player/coach (mostly coach). So I think he had a bit of resentment towards the Yankees.

As a side note.....
He succeeded Gil Hodges as manager of the Mets after Hodges sudden death in 1972 and led the Mets to the NL Pennant in 1973.
George Steinbrenner hired him back in 1976 as a coach and named him manager in 1984. However, Steinbrenner fired him just 16 games into the 1985 season. Berra was so upset by the slight that he avoided Steinbrenner (and Yankee Stadium) for the next fifteen years. Steinbrenner apologized to him in 1999, and apparently all was forgiven.

Snapolit1
02-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Until someone tells me otherwise I'm not buying the claim that the HOF made him do it that way.