PDA

View Full Version : 64 Topps AL Bombers - Fake?

Nunzio11
01-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Take a look at the green ink splatter above Mick's head. Is that a clear indication of a bad print job? Card stock feels a little thin also. Any thoughts?
I haven't seen any other similar green paint spots like this and don't think I'm lucky enough to fall into a rare print variation.

mckinneyj
02-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Since you note that the card stock seems thin, hold the card up to the sun or bright light and while looking at the back see if you can see the shadow of the image on the front. Authentic cards are completely opaque and you will see only the back as no light will penetrate through.

savedfrommyspokes
02-01-2017, 06:38 AM
As with many fakes, this card has perfect centering.

stlcardsfan
02-01-2017, 07:13 AM
I see a slight tilt to the centering. Wondering why anyone would go to the time and expense of counterfeiting this card due to the value. I would bet it's legit.

Paul S
02-01-2017, 08:40 AM
I see a slight tilt as well, but could be a diamond cut with that bad blade job underneath "Maris". Plus print snow around the green glob above Mick's head looks like a halo. By coincidence I happen to have all my 64s out right now, originally ripped by myself, including this card. I don't know the asking price for the one in question, but I bet you could do better with no financial beating.

murphy8276
02-02-2017, 07:09 AM
If the green dot is a fisheye you're in pretty good shape. I think the card has pd/snow also. I personally don't think anyone would fake this card without it appearing mint since you have to hit a psa 7.5/8 or higher to really sink into value.

I guess a psa 4-5 is 30-75, but it just doesn't seem like something to fake and I assume you spent a reasonable $5-20?

Zach Wheat
02-02-2017, 07:23 AM
+1, agree with Murph.

Z

Nunzio11
02-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the insight. It was purchased in a lot so my fault for not investigating thoroughly. I just hadn't seen a print splatter like that on this card before so just wanted to look into it. All other 64s I have are clean so this was an outlier. I don't think there was bad intent just more curious about the card itself and if that is a known print defect.