PDA

View Full Version : Lefty O'Douls Restaurant

MacDice
01-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Interesting read about the bars closure

https://apnews.com/f6b8c08c93454edab8758563fd8a3133/Famous-San-Francisco-baseball-bar-to-close,-future-uncertain?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

packs
01-31-2017, 11:12 AM
I used to live just up the street from Lefty's. As much as I love Lefty the person his bar was usually pretty grim, both inside and outside.

conor912
01-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Love this place. I spent 6 months living in a sketchy hotel one block up from Lefty's when I was in school. I didn't have a pot to piss in but was arguably the happiest I've ever been. What a loss to the hood and city.....these types of places are going extinct.

packs
01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Whoa, where were you at? I lived at the corner of Geary and Jones, next to many sketchy hotels.

conor912
01-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Whoa, where were you at? I lived at the corner of Geary and Jones, next to many sketchy hotels.

I lived in the Spalding on O'Farrell at Powell. Some great (and some sketchy) memories there. Even at 24, I knew it was time to leave when there was a huge drug bust across the hall from me at 3am, broken down doors and everything. Good times.

packs
01-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Nice, right around the corner. I loved the Tenderloin. If it weren't for my girlfriend I'd have never left. Sketchy neighborhood for sure but once you were part of the club you were left alone, at least in my experience.

I only went to Lefty's a couple times. Like I said it was usually pretty grim. There would be a couple of older people at the bar and maybe two couples eating. Not really a great place to hang out, at least for me.

itjclarke
02-01-2017, 02:01 AM
I only went to Lefty's a couple times. Like I said it was usually pretty grim. There would be a couple of older people at the bar and maybe two couples eating. Not really a great place to hang out, at least for me.

I concur, not a great spot, but definitely some history there. Sad to see it's close, hope it re-opens in some form. I'm tempted to pop by tomorrow night for a quick beer since it says Wednesday is its last day open.

oaks1912
02-01-2017, 08:25 AM
A friend who visited Lefty's on Sunday said that the walls are stripped down like the dancers at the old Mitchell Brothers O'Farrell theatre... The place had quite a bit of character and had the feeling of a comfortable pair of old slippers. When Nick Bovis bought the place twenty years ago, he stepped up the quality of the food. Back in the 80's if you had more than a spoonful of the spaghetti sauce, you were odds on favorite to NOT make it back to the bathrooms at Powell Street BART. Still with all its faults, it was an institution and I'll miss it. If Nick decides to reopen, he'll have the support of many local groups, including the SF Fire Department.....

lrspaulp
02-01-2017, 01:41 PM
I had to go to SF in 2008 for a week on Union business and I ate there 2 nights while I was there. I loved it. Sorry to see this happen.

Jay Wolt
02-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Sad to hear.

Here's a check I have w/ a cool photo of Lefty w/ Ty Cobb & 2 of the Dimaggio bros.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/odoulcheck.jpg

ooo-ribay
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
I have frequented SF bars that make Lefty's look like the Taj Mahal.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Amongst the crap, there was some decent memorabilia.

Leon
02-02-2017, 06:52 AM
very cool looking.....

Sad to hear.

Here's a check I have w/ a cool photo of Lefty w/ Ty Cobb & 2 of the Dimaggio bros.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/odoulcheck.jpg