PDA

View Full Version : Advice on grading a trimmed card

Puckettfan
01-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on authenticating a card that I'm pretty sure is trimmed. I have a 33 Goudey Ruth that I bought when I was a kid. The original owner cut off the Goudey at the bottom. PSA says they do not grade cards that are altered (although I see some floating around). I'd like to have a basis for insurance purposes. All I really want to know is that the card is authentic. Should I send it in to another grading company? Should I just keep it as raw? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

jchcollins
01-30-2017, 10:18 PM
PSA would probably grade it authentic, but I think you have to request that. Anything obviously trimmed won't be holdered with a numerical grade. If you know it's authentic then you know the most that PSA could say - I wouldn't bother to get it slabbed unless you were planning to sell it.

jchcollins
01-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Sorry, read your original post again. If you question it's authenticity - then yes PSA could help you out there and at least you would know for sure.

swarmee
01-31-2017, 04:50 AM
PSA will slab it as Authentic - Altered if that's what you want. Just put that as the minimum grade required in the field or the comments, depending on how you submit. I would also put a shipping hold on the order to make sure they don't just declare it trimmed and send it back in the Card Saver. If that happens, call customer service and reiterate that you want it slabbed authentic. Then release the shipping hold.

Puckettfan
01-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Thank you very much, everyone. This is helpful.