PDA

View Full Version : 1956 PSA question

phillycardguy
01-29-2017, 10:05 AM
I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. So please be gentle if I screw up or break a rule :)

I have a bunch (~200) of 1956 cards in what I think are decent condition. I had gotten them from my Dad and have sat on them for about 30 years. I have started to get back in the hobby and have been thinking of sending in some of the 1956 to get graded by PSA. But only wanted to send in some of the better cards.

I went through the set and picked out in the following order:
1) Cards that were more centered
2) Cards that had decent corners
3) Cards that had decent color

I then threw in some of the cards that had some more value (Ted Williams, etc)

I am wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me which ones would get the highest rating if I sent them into PSA. I had scanned them in with a decent resolution and you can zoom in pretty far (using the mouse wheel).

So guys do I have anything decent? Any guesses on the range I would get from PSA?

Thanks!!

Here is the link (Microsoft OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak6ivzoG-4Qgjlm1jcHFZDt6tcCX

irv
01-29-2017, 10:17 AM
I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. So please be gentle if I screw up or break a rule :)

I have a bunch (~200) of 1956 cards in what I think are decent condition. I had gotten them from my Dad and have sat on them for about 30 years. I have started to get back in the hobby and have been thinking of sending in some of the 1956 to get graded by PSA. But only wanted to send in some of the better cards.

I went through the set and picked out in the following order:
1) Cards that were more centered
2) Cards that had decent corners
3) Cards that had decent color

I then threw in some of the cards that had some more value (Ted Williams, etc)

I am wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me which ones would get the highest rating if I sent them into PSA. I had scanned them in with a decent resolution and you can zoom in pretty far (using the mouse wheel).

So guys do I have anything decent? Any guesses on the range I would get from PSA?

Thanks!!

Here is the link (Microsoft OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak6ivzoG-4Qgjlm1jcHFZDt6tcCX

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but when I use the mouse, the pics veer to the right.

From what my eyes see, I don't see any outstanding cards that would grade above a 5 with most looking to be in the 3-4 range (without seeing the backs)
It all depends on what you plan on doing with them as far as grading goes? If you are planning on selling, then get the popular players slabbed (Williams) but think hard about getting your commons slabbed due to the cost and not getting that back when you sell.
Also, do a search on here (grading) as there are many posts that discuss this.
Good luck, and welcome to the site.

swarmee
01-29-2017, 11:00 AM
I think they're nice and would grade between 4 VG-EX and 6 EX-MT. I would definitely grade the Indians with year variation card, the Williams, and a few others: Fowler, Liddle, Renna, Kluszewski (5.5?), Jeffcoat in center of picture.

Face's top right corner would drop it to a 5 or so, based on cards of mine with a similar crunched corner that won't go over EX.

Oddly enough, PSA doesn't really discount for discoloration as long as it's not stained/surface damaged. Those cards have better eye appeal, but the technical grade will be the same if the edges are a little yellowed or the image isn't as bright. Nice collection; it's up to you if you want to grade them. irv is right that sometimes the cost exceeds the benefits, but if you want to create a complete set of 1956, you've already got the lion's share.

pclpads
01-29-2017, 11:36 AM
If you are looking to grade and keep for your PC, fine. If looking to grade and sell, save your $$$, as PSA charges $6-$7 per w/ a 25 card min. That's about the most you'd get for them - maybe less - selling graded, since they are mainly commons. I'd put most in vg-ex class or lower, due to the corners. May be other flaws in all that the scans don't show. Teddy is the only one I'd grade if it were mine and only becuz it's a Teddy. He'd probably only get a 3.5, tops = soft corners.

phillycardguy
01-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Mickey Mays
01-30-2017, 02:22 PM
From what I could see its mostly 4 & 5. My PSA rule of thumb is if it does not grade 7 or higher it's better to sell the cards ungraded, unless its a Mantle or a HOF rookie from the set.

Good Luck with your cards

jchcollins
01-30-2017, 02:31 PM
As others have said, it depends on what you want to do with the cards. If looking to sell, there is value in having sets of things professionally graded, even if it's all a lower grade. I buy mid-grade and lower vintage cards mostly, but still like the peace of mind that grading provides if I'm buying something without being able to hold it first. On the other hand if I were you and knew that I was never going to sell the cards, I don't see much of a point in getting cards slabbed that you already concede are in mid or lower-grade shape. Cards like that can still display very nicely and project their history without being PSA 8's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk