PDA

View Full Version : Brown Lenox On Ebay

Pat R
01-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Was in a lot with four other cards with no mention of the Lenox back.
The listing was a four day auction with a $1.99 starting bid with no BIN.
disappeared in a couple of minutes and was sold as a BIN for $500.

Leon
01-21-2017, 07:27 AM
That was a nice pick up..

mrvster
01-21-2017, 09:10 AM
:eek:

njdunkin1
01-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Gee whiz, someone's happy. Congrats to the buyer, excellent eye :]

Gradedcardman
01-21-2017, 09:11 AM
I saw it as well, but out of respect for the buyer and seller I was going to wait a week before making an inquiry on the board. I hope the sale gets done and is a smooth transaction.

asoriano
01-21-2017, 09:13 AM
I saw it as well, but out of respect for the buyer and seller I was going to wait a week before making an inquiry on the board. I hope the sale gets done and is a smooth transaction.

+1

Still some steals to be had on eBay.

irv
01-21-2017, 09:46 AM
What is that Lennox card really worth?

BleedinBlue
01-21-2017, 12:52 PM

My Lenox purchase was interrupted by a board member who then bought the card from the seller.

Scocs
01-21-2017, 01:11 PM
You mean you're not the buyer who offered $500 for them?

Gradedcardman
01-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Last one I bought was in LOTG and it was not inexpensive. The last one I will more than likely purchase.

Republicaninmass
01-21-2017, 01:19 PM
All's fair on ebay

slidekellyslide
01-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Do you guys ever worry that the interest wanes for such an insignificant variation as the ink color on the back of the card?

Jantz
01-21-2017, 02:01 PM
+1

Still some steals to be had on eBay.

+1

This was listed incorrectly on Ebay last week for BIN $2

swarmee
01-21-2017, 03:21 PM
I saw the New York Mascot Old Judge pop up last week for auction at $10 and immediately messaged the seller to let the auction run to close. She was happy since it sold for about $550.

Republicaninmass
01-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I saw the New York Mascot Old Judge pop up last week for auction at $10 and immediately messaged the seller to let the auction run to close. She was happy since it sold for about $550.

Let me guess, you didnt win it?

PhillipAbbott79
01-21-2017, 04:15 PM
You mean you're not the buyer who offered $500 for them?

I am also curious. Are you referring to this particular card or a previous card simply saying that it has happened to you.

Additionally curious to know how you know it is someone on here?

swarmee
01-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Let me guess, you didnt win it?

I bid it to $50 and let it go after that; I don't collect that set. Just didn't want to see the seller get fleeced.

Republicaninmass
01-21-2017, 04:25 PM
I bid it to $50 and let it go after that; I don't collect that set. Just didn't want to see the seller get fleeced.

In my book that worse than "fleecing" a greddy seller who ends their own AUCTION, on their own accord, to take a quick buck.

IMO You just couldn't bear to see someone getting a deal, you couldnt have cared less about the seller or you would have bid a bit higher than 50$ on a 500$ card.

swarmee
01-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that's the same thing. I put in a $50 bid immediately so the seller knew there was interest in the item; I had no expectation or plan to win it. You're a peach.

Sean
01-21-2017, 04:31 PM
My Lenox purchase was interrupted by a board member who then bought the card from the seller.

I remember that incident. It was a couple years ago. Sorry, I can't find that thread.

Republicaninmass
01-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that's the same thing. I put in a $50 bid immediately so the seller knew there was interest in the item; I had no expectation or plan to win it. You're a peach.

Im certainly glad we have the junior police of ebay patrolling for corrupt buyers on ebay. Rest well sellers!

bnorth
01-21-2017, 04:58 PM
I remember that incident. It was a couple years ago. Sorry, I can't find that thread.

This happens all the time. As far has knowing who done it, a lot of time you can just ask the seller and they will tell you who they sold it to. Plus on a lot of cards there really is just a few people that are buyers and if you are a buyer more than likely you know the other buyers.

Back when I sold a lot of rare error cards on eBay. I got a ton of those will you cancel the auction and sell it to me messages. I always answered no I will not cancel the auction. It was very rare that one of those people actually bid on the item. Most of the time they were just people trying to get a card for much less than it was worth.

Bored5000
01-21-2017, 05:04 PM
I wrote this on here before in the thread about vintage racing cards, but I picked up the rare Fred Lorenzen card in my avatar at auction on eBay last September. The card and another Lorenzen card from the same seller sold for a little over $1,800 at auction. From messaging the seller after the auction to confirm payment information, the seller said he knew he had something special when multiple people messaged him with offers of $300, $400 and $750 for the two cards if he would end the auction.

Rationalize it any way possible, it still seems scummy to me to try and get a seller to end an auction for pennies on the dollar.

Edd*e Sm*th

Scocs
01-21-2017, 08:05 PM
"Rationalize it any way possible, it still seems scummy to me to try and get a seller to end an auction for pennies on the dollar."

+ infinity

Jantz
01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Well if I learned anything today its that I'm not scummy. ;)

The T205 I posted earlier was purchased by someone else. I could have nabbed it for $2, but I let nature take it's course.

ullmandds
01-22-2017, 05:55 AM
"Rationalize it any way possible, it still seems scummy to me to try and get a seller to end an auction for pennies on the dollar."

+ infinity

Newsflash...this is a scummy hobby!

bobbyw8469
01-22-2017, 06:14 AM
No offense, but that looks black to me, not brown. That's why i like staying away from the "subtle variation" game.

Republicaninmass
01-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Serves the buyer right. Take a gamble, absorb the loss. Not like others asking sellers to add ridiculously low Buy it now prices...so they can then return if it's it no good.

Gradedcardman
01-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Doubt there's a loss for this buyer regardless of the color it's determined to be. $500 is a great price for a Black example and a awesome price for a Brown. No loss either way with this group.

Vintagecatcher
01-22-2017, 07:09 AM
This hobby is a microcosm of the rest of society.

While it is certainly true that there is no shortage of unsavory people doing unethical acts, there is also many good people that do the "right thing," and also help their fellow collectors.

Some people have no problem contacting sellers to end auctions early...some people would rather let auctions run their normal course.

One would hope that there are ethical people at both ends of the transaction.

Some people have no problem contacting a seller after an auction has ended, and making a deal to acquire an item that they desire. Some people would believe this is case of an unethical seller, and an unethical backdoor buyer.

It happens...but it doesn't mean it's right.

Patrick

Pat R
01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
no offense, but that looks black to me, not brown. That's why i like staying away from the "subtle variation" game.

RedsFan1941
01-22-2017, 08:01 AM
That's why i like staying away from the "subtle variation" game.

I agree with this ^^^^ If you aren't educated or savvy about being able to tell the different between a Brown and Black Lennox, you should stay away.

bnorth
01-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Serves the buyer right. Take a gamble, absorb the loss. Not like others asking sellers to add ridiculously low Buy it now prices...so they can then return if it's it no good.

As grown men that accept responsibility for our actions we don't get that the world has changed. A grown man can still act like a little kid because nothing is their fault.:rolleyes::D

As far as the brown vs black, they are kinda hard to tell the difference with a picture on the internet. In hand in a well lit room or especially outside in the sunlight they stick out like a sore thumb. I am going through this with a gentleman right now. He accidentally sent me 2 brown backs so I returned them. Then he was going to send me another card for my troubles and when it arrived it was a brown back also. So now I am going to return it.

PhillipAbbott79
01-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Someone accidentally sent you 3 Brown Lenox cards?

Gradedcardman
01-22-2017, 09:03 AM
This hobby is a microcosm of the rest of society.

While it is certainly true that there is no shortage of unsavory people doing unethical acts, there is also many good people that do the "right thing," and also help their fellow collectors.

Some people have no problem contacting sellers to end auctions early...some people would rather let auctions run their normal course.

One would hope that there are ethical people at both ends of the transaction.

Some people have no problem contacting a seller after an auction has ended, and making a deal to acquire an item that they desire. Some people would believe this is case of an unethical seller, and an unethical backdoor buyer.

It happens...but it doesn't mean it's right.

Patrick

Well said

bnorth
01-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Someone accidentally sent you 3 Brown Lenox cards?

No a different card but with the same problem and the brown backs being insanely rare.

DerekMichael
01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
It looks to be genuine brown, no?

mrvster
01-22-2017, 02:24 PM
is disturbing....everything on this earth is just that......earthly......we are only "renting" these pieces of cardboard....you can't take it with you...

money, sometimes "big" money comes out, then greed takes over, an ugly demon....it distorts us sometimes...

I try to be ethical all the time in this hobby, but I have let greed take me sometimes....

we need to learn from our mistakes and love one anther...

ok, let the bashing begin:)