PDA

View Full Version : T206--Pursue rare back horizontal or portrait?

njdunkin1
01-20-2017, 01:13 PM
March 21st, 2018 edit: this is a really old post, lol!

A friend contacted me with some relatively rare backs for sale, a portrait and a horizontal. Both common players, but both have either Hindu or some other rare back (can't remember). I want to choose the right one from an investment standpoint and to fit in my collection. The issue I have is that both cards would fit in my collection very well, but I can only purchase one. What would you wager is the better investment, long term?
Thank you,
NJ

Sean
01-20-2017, 01:58 PM
It comes down to which card you like better. It sounds like neither is rare, so get the one you prefer.

njdunkin1
01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
It comes down to which card you like better. It sounds like neither is rare, so get the one you prefer.

I would agree. Thank you, Sean.

xplainer
01-20-2017, 02:29 PM
I would go with the rarer back. You did say it was an investment. That is why I say that.

frankbmd
01-20-2017, 02:34 PM
A friend contacted me with some relatively rare backs for sale, a portrait and a horizontal. Both common players, but both have either Hindu or some other rare back (can't remember). I want to choose the right one from an investment standpoint and to fit in my collection. The issue I have is that both cards would fit in my collection very well, but I can only purchase one. What would you wager is the better investment, long term?
Thank you,
NJ

If you are over 70, the one you can't remember may be justified and the best bet. If you are not, perhaps going with the Hindu you remember is the best bet.;)

Personally I can't remember buying a card that I couldn't remember, even though I have several cards that I can't remember buying, I think.:eek:

Luke
01-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Personally I can't remember buying a card that I couldn't remember, even though I have several cards that I can't remember buying, I think.:eek:

Made me laugh :D

njdunkin1
01-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Mr. Frank,
Your comments never cease to amaze :)

I think I'll shoot for the card with the best eye appeal/rare back ratio. I think they are both Hindus, so I apologize for any confusion involved there. Thank you everyone for the input.
NJ

Leon
01-23-2017, 06:29 AM
Mr. Frank,
Your comments never cease to amaze :)

I think I'll shoot for the card with the best eye appeal/rare back ratio. I think they are both Hindus, so I apologize for any confusion involved there. Thank you everyone for the input.
NJ

I always go for best Eye Appeal. Long term that is what collectors generally want.....Good luck!!

BruceinGa
01-23-2017, 07:27 AM
I agree with eye appeal (centering in my mind)!

Yoda
01-23-2017, 10:29 AM
A Red Hindu Reverse is more valuable than the brown, given the same relative condition. And some T206 commons are more prized than others, eg. Durham and Titus.

bbcard1
01-23-2017, 10:39 AM
All things being equal, I would go for the horizontal which tend to carry a premium. Also research the player. As unlikely as it would seem there are still a couple of players who may find a side door to Cooperstown. Dahlen is the most talked about, but Larry Doyle, Crathvan, Dineen, Magee, Murray, etc all have their promoters. Hit it right and it's a grand slam, hit it wrong and you've still got a better than average player or at worst know something about them. I did well with Vic Willis a few years back using this strategy.

njdunkin1
01-23-2017, 10:44 AM
All things being equal, I would go for the horizontal which tend to carry a premium. Also research the player. As unlikely as it would seem there are still a couple of players who may find a side door to Cooperstown. Dahlen is the most talked about, but Larry Doyle, Crathvan, Dineen, Magee, Murray, etc all have their promoters. Hit it right and it's a grand slam, hit it wrong and you've still got a better than average player or at worst know something about them. I did well with Vic Willis a few years back using this strategy.

Totally agree. I think Dahlen has a fairly decent chance, I should probably pick up a card or two of his.

The deal with my friend fell through, but thankfully Chuck had some awesome Hindus on eBay listed auction-style. I will definitely be posting in the pickups section come later this week!
Thanks for your help everyone!
NJ

Sean
01-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Totally agree. I think Dahlen has a fairly decent chance, I should probably pick up a card or two of his.

The deal with my friend fell through, but thankfully Chuck had some awesome Hindus on eBay listed auction-style. I will definitely be posting in the pickups section come later this week!
NJ

Good luck NJ. Get a couple Hindus. :)

Leon
01-27-2017, 11:53 AM

NJ

Just remember to take it slow and easy so you don't get burnt out :). (says the card-addict)

jmatta22
03-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Hi I have a Magee Hindu portrair