PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Pictures from Auction - Ruth, Gehrig, Others

DetroitJay
01-19-2017, 07:23 PM
I have been out of the loop with sports cards and collectibles for a few years now as I have moved on to vintage WW2 items. That said, i still keep an eye out for stuff. These pictures and advertisements came out of an auction a while back. My friend paid very little for all of them (disregard a couple of price tags you will see). I would like to buy them from him but dont want to overpay, or underpay him! I was curious if there is anything of note in these? Are they actually from the time period they represent or are they later items? Any and all help is appreciated (there are duplicates of the Gehrig swinging and Cochrane in basically the same shape as the one i photo'd)

Jay

RedsFan1941
01-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Speaking only about the first things pictured - the Fro Joys - they are poorly done (originals are b&w) reprints and nearly worthless

DetroitJay
01-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Speaking only about the first things pictured - the Fro Joys - they are poorly done (originals are b&w) reprints and nearly worthless

Thankyou.. I had suspected that on those, as I could only find info on the black and white ones.

aelefson
01-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Hi-

Other folks with more knowledge than I have will hopefully respond, but here are my thoughts. As mentioned earlier, the Fro Joy piece is fake. The first Ruth photo is a baseball magazine premium from the mid 1950s. I do not believe they have much value (20-30 dollars or so). The one with White's Studio on the back is odd, and my gut feel is that it is a fake/fantasy item as the photographer's information looks haphazardly typed on the back.

The Louisville Slugger ones also look like fantasy/fakes to me. The Gehrig is another Baseball Magazine premium (like the first Ruth) and has similar value. The Cochrane is from a set that should be easy to identify but I can't remember off the top of my head. It does appear to be real, as are the early Exhibit and pin. None of those last three items have high value (less than 30.00 for all three).

Alan