PDA

View Full Version : Interesting T206 Back

vintagerookies51
01-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Recently acquired this T206, and I wanted to learn from some experts out there. The back is a Sweet Cap, but there are clearly remnants of what appears to be part of an Old Mill back. I'm sure this isn't very rare as it would have gone for more, but I was just curious what causes this? And is there any extra collectability from this or do collectors look at it more as back damage? Either way I thought it was cool so I went for it. Thanks!

Added: Looked at various Old Mill backs more closely and it seems to be from a black SL back, as the SL backs have "Baseball Series- Selection from..." written. Wish it was a brown

Sean
01-18-2017, 07:07 PM
It looks like the Old Mill back was glued onto the card at some point, and later removed. I don't think that it adds any value to the card. Sorry. :o

Luke
01-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Paper addition is generally just looked at as back damage. Looks like you could soak it off and have a pretty clean back though.

JustinD
01-18-2017, 07:11 PM
It looks as though someone tried to fake a more valuable back.

Hopefully, it will soak off as it is better without.

Sean
01-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Who is on the front?

vintagerookies51
01-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. The front is a Hughie Jennings portrait

Luke
01-18-2017, 10:20 PM
I see this every now and again. I don't think it's the result of any nefarious behavior. Likely a collector pasted his/her cards into a scrapbook and then would tear them out to trade/sell them, leaving part of the back on the scrapbook. Then, they would paste another card in the same spot and when they'd rip that one out, it might have an bit of the first back affixed to it.

PhillipAbbott79
01-19-2017, 02:31 PM
I think the problem with that theory is that the Old mill back is not backwards. Going with the faking logic myself.