PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Your Cards

Edwolf1963
01-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Always interesting/funny reading some of the tactics people use to draw more attention to their listings (primarily eBay). I suppose I'm not immune to a few of them myself, but some of them drive me up the wall. In somewhat jest :D I've listed a "top 10" of sorts that stand out below. Either the way they're described, marketed, or even responses.

Curious what yours may be?

10. Not noting reprints in the title so I can't weed them out of search. (Those crumpled up looking T206 reprints that show up from time to time are a classic example )

9. "LOOKS NICER!", "WOW!!!", L@@K!!!" or similar

8. Quoting SMR values - IMO one of the most useless stats around. Especially when you see people quoting SMR near mint values on a roach card

7. Telling perspective buyers that it looks a grade higher and encouraging them to send it in for a regrade. If you're so sure, do it yourself. (most of these examples I suspect the sellers already tried that avenue and we're denied)

6. Any pre-war listing that says "I am the original owner" :confused:

5. Sellers who grade their own cards, apply some happy talk or algorithm to try and convey their expertise here and win your confidence

4. Ridiculous shipping rates and then a 2 to 3 paragraph defensive dissertation somewhere in the description on how that reflects actual shipping cost to them and how they strive for five-star feedback and "if you don't like it, don't bid"

3. "BLAZER!", "PHENOMINAL!", "STUNNING!", "BREATHTAKING!" (Battlefield and Great Lakes Auction House follow this playbook)

2. Noting a price or "best offer" in your listings and then countering an offer with a buck or two off your list price.

1. Any conscious misrepresentation. As in anything along the lines of "my grandfather left it to me", "attic find", "looks old", "looks to be original?" - then of course "no returns accepted". Not noting PSA qualifiers in the title or description though clearly evident in the scan. Photo alterations or touchups (isn't that right, Battlefield?) Common cards, common backs listed as "rare", or "tough"

bnorth
01-18-2017, 04:16 PM
#8 happens way too often. Even had it happen on here. Was looking for low grade cards and had the NrMint prices quoted. I asked if the cards are NrMint and got no they are the condition you are looking for.LOL I bought them at what there were worth so I have no idea why the SMR prices were even mentioned.

I find the centering fad funny also.

edjs
01-18-2017, 04:40 PM
My favorite is when they say " ULTRA RARE," and then have more than one listed. How "ULTRA RARE" can it be if you have multiples to sell?

Second favorite is when they list 1 of 1, only 7 graded higher. Yeah, it may be the only PSA 2.5, but there are twenty PSA 2s. And a PSA 7.

And then there is "A must own for every serious collector!" Good thing I'm a more frivolous collector. :D

Anyway, none of it bugs me, more entertaining. I've always had a hard time writing a description myself. You want the card to sound cool.

90feetaway
01-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Listing as a PSA8 only to find it's a PSA8 MK. Definitely frustrating.

JollyElm
01-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Two words: MUST SEE!!

mechanicalman
01-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Related to #8: when they quote an anonymous "book value" that is even significantly higher than SMR. You see this at shows all the time. I have no idea what "book" this is.

BruceinGa
01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
The one that I notice is "Great (or Perfect) Centering". After examination...not even close.:mad:

Jantz
01-19-2017, 05:02 AM
#6 - "I am the original owner"

I have used this line before. Not with baseball cards, but with some of my childhood toys that I parted ways with. I told the buyers..."Congratulations, you are now the second owner." Quite a few people were actually shocked that I was selling my toys and commented that they thought it was cool buying from the original owner, especially since some of the toys were more than 40 years old.

ullmandds
01-19-2017, 05:39 AM
Those are all good...and cliche! I like the listings preying on people's sense of pity or charity...all proceeds will go towards my mom's hospital expenses...or all proceeds will go to fund my childs education.

mattjc1983
01-19-2017, 06:56 AM
"I bought a huge lot from an estate sale and this is the last of it..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookiemonster
01-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Pack fresh graded a psa 4 ! What the hell happened to the pack before you opened it ?

VintageBen
01-19-2017, 02:50 PM
If I am selling on eBay, I will market my items by hash-tagging any possible word associated with the item until i run out of characters to get more views. #vintage #vintagecards #mlb #tycobb #t206 #wow #omg #whoa #buyitnow

also i might see what else is trending in the world and then use that as well.

Buythatcard
01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
This bugs me more than anything.

A listing shows multiple cards but the auction is only for one of them.

How lazy can the seller be.

Section103
01-19-2017, 04:05 PM
I love listings in all caps. And for some reason, these listings almost always overlap with the "i found these cards in an attic, not sure if they're real or not" listings.

Bill77
01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
My favorites are anything that says "RARE" or "Graded GEM MINT 10" but its a either a fly by night grading company or something that looks home made.

Leon
01-21-2017, 08:28 AM
From grandpa's attic. He got them when he was a kid (as they show a T206 PLank with the value printed and listed on the back :)) God bless...