PDA

View Full Version : Authenticating inscriptions?

mattjc1983
01-16-2017, 11:14 AM
I have not sent in autos for third party authentication, but as a buyer, am curious how TPAs handle inscriptions, and I cannot find that any address this issue on their website.

Basic question is, if I send in an autographed item to get the autograph authenticated, does that service include authentication of any inscription on the item, or is the inscription ignored? If the inscription is part of the authentication process, what is the TPA's certification approach if the autograph is deemed real but the inscription is not?

Anyone have any experience or insight into this?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thenavarro
01-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Not sure so don't take this as gospel, but from what I've seen, I THINK the following generally applies:

1) For PSA/DNA, and JSA/BGS, if slabbed, only the sig is authenticated and nothing is mentioned on the flips about inscription.

2) if full LOA, from JSA, the letter usually mentions if the inscription is in the hand of the signer or not. For PSA/DNA, I don't think it is mentioned either way.

Your mileage may vary, and the companies might change the way they do it from time to time as well.

Mike

mattjc1983
01-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Not sure so don't take this as gospel, but from what I've seen, I THINK the following generally applies:

1) For PSA/DNA, and JSA/BGS, if slabbed, only the sig is authenticated and nothing is mentioned on the flips about inscription.

2) if full LOA, from JSA, the letter usually mentions if the inscription is in the hand of the signer or not. For PSA/DNA, I don't think it is mentioned either way.

Your mileage may vary, and the companies might change the way they do it from time to time as well.

Mike

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packs
01-16-2017, 12:07 PM
I have seen full letters with notations like "the inscription was made in the hand of..." or "the inscription is in an unknown hand". Not sure if they charge extra though.