PDA

View Full Version : Exhibits question

Snapolit1
01-13-2017, 09:09 PM
So many Exhibits experts here. Very cool stuff.
Regarding the 4 on 1s, was there evidence kids cut them up or largely left them intact? Always seem so nice not cut apart. Wonder what the actual custom at the time was?

Shoebox
01-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Not an expert by any means but just judging by the volume of cut sections that exist of these cards it certainly seems like a significant portion of those collectors did cut them apart. Not anywhere close to the majority of them or else the surviving cut up inventory would overwhelm the amount that is intact which isn't the case. Completely uninformed speculation but maybe 10% or so we're cut up rather than kept intact at the point of original acquisition.

Leon
01-17-2017, 08:03 AM
I agree that not a ton of the Exhibits were cut up. The 4 in 1s almost seem like they could be cut like strips but weren't intended to be. On the other hand true 1920s full strips are becoming more rare, especially with crazy numerals on graded strip cards (I still can't wrap my head around numerical grades on hand cut cards)... Those cut 4 in 1s remind me of T202 end panels.

Not an expert by any means but just judging by the volume of cut sections that exist of these cards it certainly seems like a significant portion of those collectors did cut them apart. Not anywhere close to the majority of them or else the surviving cut up inventory would overwhelm the amount that is intact which isn't the case. Completely uninformed speculation but maybe 10% or so we're cut up rather than kept intact at the point of original acquisition.