PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Topps Bob Grim / Variances

K-Nole
01-13-2017, 03:44 PM
I am putting this set together and just about done.
I was looking through it and noticed that on my #80, Bob Grim, the Yankees logo is chopped off on the top and on the left side.
Not due to miscut, but rather to picture shift.
I looked at other Yankees and this didn't happen on any of my others.
So I went to EBAY to look, and sure enough, there are 2-3 others like this, but all others have normal Yankees logo.
Since I now see at least 3 (including mine), and I never saw this as a listed variant, I am curious as to if you all have any, and if so, is this something that needs to be noticed by the hobby?

Rich Klein
01-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Can you please post scans of the differences. As an old E & V guy I would love to actually see what you are referring

Thanks!
Rich

bnorth
01-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Can you please post scans of the differences. As an old E & V guy I would love to actually see what you are referring

Thanks!
Rich

I think this is what he is referring to. Added both for comparison.

frankbmd
01-15-2017, 10:00 AM
It's either a variation or a grim finding.

bnorth
01-15-2017, 10:10 AM

I don't know about a Grim finding.:) It was either a double print or a error and corrected version as there are many differences in the cards.

irv
01-15-2017, 02:20 PM

I guess there was a Grimmer of hope that some members would find your post funny, Frank, but judging by the "0" replies and Tee Hee's, I'd say it went the way of the Grim reaper rather quickly. :D

KCRfan1
01-15-2017, 06:27 PM
There once was a Doctor named Frank,

Who said " That card just won't break the bank "!

The Yankee pitcher, it's him!

His name is Bob Grim,

There's no variance, it's off center-top and left side bank!!!!!:D

Cliff Bowman
01-15-2017, 07:49 PM
On the "chopped" version, the top of both hats and the first B in Bob of the facsimile signature are also chopped. On the "unchopped" version, both hats and the facsimile autograph are complete.

jchcollins
01-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Same thing exists with the '55 Topps Jackie Robinson. On some cards the diamond-shaped Dodgers logo is cut off on the left side / left border of the card. From what I can tell, professional graders don't discount for this specifically...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/52b4a7b7a859e3bb28d9f88b83bfa456.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/b3652455d25c04ba1647413262ee247b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Klein
01-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Based on what I have seen from the scans, there is no reason for a grading company deduction for either "clipped" team logo. Those all appear to be part of the card printing process when they were produced. Ergo, to me, that is not a card condition issue.

Rich

jchcollins
01-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Based on what I have seen from the scans, there is no reason for a grading company deduction for either "clipped" team logo. Those all appear to be part of the card printing process when they were produced. Ergo, to me, that is not a card condition issue.

Rich

Rich - agree. What I meant but did not convey properly was that it's not considered a "variation" by any of the major grading companies. I would not imagine it would be discounted as a condition issue. Even though other flaws (centering, rough cuts, etc.) that are "part of the card printing process" are discounted. Just an interesting variation. I prefer the cards with the full and not clipped logos.

K-Nole
01-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys for the conversation.
Sounds like a cool thing for those variations collectors, just not a "recognized" one.
If I / We found something cool for just one variation collector, then our discussion has done good.
Happy collecting gents.