PDA

View Full Version : Good card for a soak?

irv
01-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Not knowing if 52's are an OK card to soak, but would this not be a good candidate card if they were?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-topps-375-Jack-Merson-Psa-1-5-/232194322281?hash=item360fdc2f69:g:MyIAAOSw-0xYaz~C

swarmee
01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
1) I don't think '52s are good to soak.
2) If they were, this would clean up better and may be VG or better.

You've got common 1952s. Give it a shot. Surely you've got a beater duplicate you don't care that much about.

irv
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
2) If they were, this would clean up better and may be VG or better.

You've got common 1952s. Give it a shot. Surely you've got a beater duplicate you don't care that much about.

My thoughts too as everything looks to be on top of that card. Obviously, it depends on what type of glue was used, but that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?

My only dupes are creased so I don't think that would be a conclusive test?

bnorth
01-09-2017, 07:26 PM
My thoughts too as everything looks to be on top of that card. Obviously, it depends on what type of glue was used, but that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?

My only dupes are creased so I don't think that would be a conclusive test?

I have an extra Don Bollweg I will throw in some water tomorrow for an hour and report back in a couple days after it is completely dry. I know I have seen some 52 Mantles that have the been soaked, bleached, and burnt(another way to whiten) look.

swarmee
01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
that looks like it would peel right off if it was water soluble?

In the 50s they had Elmer's Glue, which likely is water soluble.

mattjc1983
01-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I have an extra Don Bollweg I will throw in some water tomorrow for an hour and report back in a couple days after it is completely dry. I know I have seen some 52 Mantles that have the been soaked, bleached, and burnt(another way to whiten) look.

Burnt? How do they go about that one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnorth
01-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Burnt? How do they go about that one?

Trade secret.:) It has been discussed before but I try not to post how to alter cards on an open forum.

pclpads
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM

I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain. I once successfully gave a '52 Billy Martin a warm bath. Luckily, water soluble glue was used to afix into a scrapbook. The foreign paper residue peeled right off after the bath. No damage to the card after heavy pressing and drying. The trick is to keep an eye on the process. Don't dip it and go to the Bahamas for a week. :D

irv
01-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain. I once successfully gave a '52 Billy Martin a warm bath. Luckily, water soluble glue was used to afix into a scrapbook. The foreign paper residue peeled right off after the bath. No damage to the card after heavy pressing and drying. The trick is to keep an eye on the process. Don't dip it and go to the Bahamas for a week. :D

If someone purchased that card then chooses to crack and soak it, and is successful, then I think they did very well on that high # Merson.

mattjc1983
01-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Trade secret.:) It has been discussed before but I try not to post how to alter cards on an open forum.

Fair enough :). Good philosophy.

Paul S
01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
I beg to differ. But, depends on the type of glue used. The '50's also had LePage's glue, which stuck a card to a scrapbook like cement and would usually leave a brown stain.

Also known as Rubber Cement - Elmer's and other brands remain in production. No sure about these days, but years ago commercial artists of all types would use it in their mock-ups. I grew up with it. In the Fifties my father had a Sunday paper comic strip. I still have a lot of his originals. He would draw on a giant stock poster board. Afterward, if he didn't like how something turned out he would redraw it on another piece, cut it out, and affix it over the section he wanted to change. Then it would go to the colorist and printers and look great in the paper. And yes, over a long period of time the stuff dries out and falls off. And yes, there are residue brown stains still.

pclpads
01-12-2017, 11:42 AM
RC is a different product than LePage's. RC balls up like snot. LePage's is down for the count. :D