PDA

View Full Version : Brian Campf (bbpostcards)

BaseballYakker
01-05-2017, 08:40 AM
I suppose some of you may already be aware of this, but it just came to my attention that Brian Campf (bbpostcards) passed away in September. Like many of you, I very much admired Brian's remarkable collection of postcards and his SportingOregon website. I did not know Brian, but I was very saddened to learn of his passing.

Here's the link to his obituary: http://obits.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregon/obituary.aspx?pid=181634342

autograf
01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Wow. Hadn't heard that. Brian was great to correspond with and we did a number of deals over the years. He collected both sport and nonsport cards and had a passion for postcards and West Coast cards from nonsports as well. As I'm about the same age he was, it's always tough hearing of anyone passing at around 50 years old and particularly sad when its a hobby friend. RIP Brian.

Vintagecatcher
01-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Like Tom, I also bought, sold, and traded with Brian over the years.

I also had not heard of his passing.

RIP Brian!

Patrick

oldjudge
01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Total shock! He was a great guy and a passionate collector. RIP Brian.

Brian Van Horn
01-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear of the passings of both Brian Campf and Bob Lemke.

pariah1107
01-05-2017, 09:33 AM
This is terrible news. Far too young. He was a true gentleman. The Sportingoregon site is an incredible repository of early PNW sports history, and Brian could not have been a nicer guy.

We never met, but he contributed a lot of his research to "Darkhorse", especially about Claxton and the 1914-15 Portland Giants. His enthusiasm for sports history was infectious. He was always supportive, and encouraging. My thoughts and prayers with his loved ones.

Exhibitman
01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Rip

GaryPassamonte
01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
I, too, am shocked to hear this news. Brian was one of the nicest people I ever had dealings with on any level. He will be missed.

h2oya311
01-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Are you serious??? Brian was an incredible resource and a true hobby friend of mine. He helped me get started on my Helmar Stamps collection journey by selling me his HOF duplicates. He has an absolutely unbelievable collection of postcards and other pre-war cards/stamps. This is absolutely terrible news! I can't believe it! Ugh!

RIP Brian! You will be missed.

Leon
01-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Very sad to hear of this last night. Prayers and condolences go out to family and friends...RIP Brian, you will be missed by all.

smtjoy
01-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Very sad RIP, great guy to deal with, did my largest trade every with him, had so much to offer made choosing overwhelming.

jb217676
01-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Real sad. Legendary collector, checked out his site all the time.

BeanTown
01-05-2017, 11:58 AM
RIP Brian.

greenmonster66
01-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Very Sorry to hear, did some deals with him in the past. RIP Brian, God Bless!

spec
01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Another day, news of another incalculable loss to our hobby! Like Bob Lemke, Brian was a passionate collector and a fount of knowledge he was always willing to share. Though we had traded off and on for years, we cemented a bond a few years ago when I swapped him the variations he needed to complete the T332 actress set and he finished my T332 baseball set in a separate transaction by trading me the near-impossible Cy Young. He will be sorely missed by us all. RIP, my friend. My condolences to his family and friends.

brianp-beme
01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Here is link to his incredible website...so darn young. Brian will be missed!

http://www.sportingoregon.com/

Brian P.

Kenny Cole
01-05-2017, 01:55 PM
I echo what everyone else has said. Brian was great to talk to and deal with and he will be missed. RIP Brian.

Kawika
01-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm really sorry to learn of the passing of Brian Campf. We did a couple of deals over the years. He was an absolutely cordial fellow. Never met him in person although I had an open invitation for a cup of coffee were I ever to get down to Oregon. Regret that I was never able to take him up on it.

Some really good fellows are no longer with us. Jim Blumenthal and Anthony Stephenson come immediately to mind. Rest in peace, all you guys.

rhettyeakley
01-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Really sad news, Brian was a good guy and very passionate about his collection. 49 is way too young, my heart goes out to his loved ones!

caramelcard
01-05-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm shocked and very saddened to hear this news. I have 100s of emails back and forth with Brian over the last 10 years or so. Many were involving trades, but most of the time I was pestering him for information because he was so knowledgable about postcards and Oregon baseball material. Oftentimes he would give me a heads up on items that he thought I would like and I did the same for him. I'll miss corresponding with him.

Rest in Peace Brian.

Rob

Troy Kirk
01-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Very sad to hear this news. I've corresponded with Brian about Helmar stamps and Oregon cards, great guy and true collector.

slidekellyslide
01-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Shocking news. RIP Brian.

Shoebox
01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Only had one transaction with him for a HOF autograph but my sympathies to his family and friends on his passing. As someone that greatly appreciates the collective knowledge, wisdom, and expertise that is found on this board I am always saddened to see a piece of that knowledge lost.

ksfarmboy
01-06-2017, 11:39 AM
That's sucks, way too young. Condolences to the family.

AndrewJerome
01-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Very, very sad news. Brian was one of the most thoughtful collectors I have ever met. Many times Brian emailed to make sure I saw a Seattle item that happened to be for sale on eBay or elsewhere. We easily completed a trade for a broadside he came across that "he knew would fit right in with my collection."

RIP Brian. Your passion for the hobby will be missed,

Andrew

dstudeba
01-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Just terrible news. He was a wonderful PCL collector that I communicated with many times and was very helpful and easy to deal with.

So sad; I think of him fondly.

familytoad
01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
I knew of Brian's passing back in September when our mutual friend Mark Macrae alerted me.

Mark and Brian were very close...I didn't want to report the sad news back then because it wasn't my place and I am no where near as eloquent as this nice man deserves.

Brian attended the twice-annual Portland Breakfast that Mark helps organize on his trips to the Seattle WSSCA show in June and November. I was fortunate enough to be invited to this, and it quickly became one of the highlights of my collecting year. I tried to never miss this even when I couldn't attend the show. I sat next to Mr Campf at a couple of these gatherings and got to know him as the passionate collector/ researcher and generous person that he was.

His sudden passing hit me particularly hard. Still does.
God Bless you my friend.

DixieBaseball
01-07-2017, 09:13 PM
My condolences to Brian's family. He was one of my favorites in the collecting community. Genuine. We had several deals together over the years, and communicated across the country regarding our love for PCL & SL/SA Minor league material. Very sad to hear of this news.

God Bless -

phlflyer1
01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Haven't been on the board in awhile so I am just seeing this news now.

I had some wonderful exchanges of information with Brian and dealings with him in the past.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing and offer my condolences to his family and friends.