PDA

View Full Version : Reprint guys

Snapolit1
01-04-2017, 02:22 PM
If you want to try to make money selling reprints, go for it. It's a free country and you can sell copies of cards if you want. I know some people here collect them in some cases. But the games going on around these guys and their stories is patently ridiculous. And predictable. It's always "I'm selling these as reprints because the guy who got them from someone else who bought them in an estate sale who was told that at least some of them are reprints so I'm selling these as reprints but have no information beyond that ..." bla bla bla. Same schtick, different day. Others show other game playing motifs. This was doesn't say reprint in the title, the "Original" box is checked, and then the description says reprints. Innocent mistake or just games? Is this a fair disclosure, or trying to keep door open they are somehow real to an uninformed person?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-MICKEY-MANTLE-HANK-AARON-WILLIE-MAYS-LOU-GEHRIG-JOE-DIMAGGIO-RC-GU-LOT-/162346146491?hash=item25cc959abb:g:~B8AAOSwFAZTtc5 H[/QUOTE]

bnorth
01-04-2017, 02:34 PM
If you want to try to make money selling reprints, go for it. It's a free country and you can sell copies of cards if you want. I know some people here collect them in some cases. But the games going on around these guys and their stories is patently ridiculous. And predictable. It's always "I'm selling these as reprints because the guy who got them from someone else who bought them in an estate sale who was told that at least some of them are reprints so I'm selling these as reprints but have no information beyond that ..." bla bla bla. Same schtick, different day. Others show other game playing motifs. This was doesn't say reprint in the title, the "Original" box is checked, and then the description says reprints. Innocent mistake or just games? Is this a fair disclosure, or trying to keep door open they are somehow real to an uninformed person?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-MICKEY-MANTLE-HANK-AARON-WILLIE-MAYS-LOU-GEHRIG-JOE-DIMAGGIO-RC-GU-LOT-/162346146491?hash=item25cc959abb:g:~B8AAOSwFAZTtc5 H[/QUOTE]

Those are not reprints. Those are altered reprints or counterfeits being sold by scumbags trying to deceive someone.

I collect reprints. I can't afford some real sets/cards so I buy reprints.

I do understand what you are saying but some of us collect reprints and are glad they are produced.:)

Snapolit1
01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Ben - I know some people collect them. Wasn't being dismissive of that at all. Will be the closest many of us could ever get to some of the holy grail (or medium holy grail) cards.

bnorth
01-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Ben - I know some people collect them. Wasn't being dismissive of that at all. Will be the closest many of us could ever get to some of the holy grail (or medium holy grail) cards.

Never thought you were. I just don't think the crap they sell should be called reprints.

EDIT: I say their crap should not be called reprints even though some are altered reprints is because reprints are not meant to deceive anybody. JMHO

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Never thought you were. I just don't think the crap they sell should be called reprints.

EDIT: I say their crap should not be called reprints even though some are altered reprints is because reprints are not meant to deceive anybody. JMHO

AMEN. I report counterfeits that are listed as reprints all the time.

I found out by accident years ago that reputable reprints actually have a nice little market. I had gotten a TON of CCC sets in a collection and I threw them up for auction individually just to get something out of them. I literally didn't factor in any amount for them when I bought the collection. Imagine my surprise when they went collectively well over $1k.

Leon
01-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Fake, counterfeits etc.....not good if not advertised explicitly that way. I too have seen a few authorized reprints have some value. They aren't for me but if folks enjoy them, and can fill a hole in a set they wouldn't otherwise, so be it.

AMEN. I report counterfeits that are listed as reprints all the time.

I found out by accident years ago that reputable reprints actually have a nice little market. I had gotten a TON of CCC sets in a collection and I threw them up for auction individually just to get something out of them. I literally didn't factor in any amount for them when I bought the collection. Imagine my surprise when they went collectively well over $1k.