PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News / Press Photo Help Needed

mouschi
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
I came across the picture shown below. After doing a photo overlay, it looks like the picture matches exactly to the 1986 donruss shown on the left.

http://www.mycollectionofcards.com/baseballcards/010117/photo.jpg

The original auction from several years ago states the following:

Photo Description
You are bidding on an original press photo from 1986 featuring Jose Canseco Oakland Athletics . Photo is 8" x 10" in size.

Photo Condition
This photo originates from the archives of the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Daily News, Detroit News, and Sport Magazine. Most photos have never been seen by the public. These photos are not reproductions or reprints.

My question is this: What the heck is this? Is this an original photo of the 1986 Donruss card that Donruss licensed? Why wouldn't it be color? Any information greatly appreciated!

ibuysportsephemera
01-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't think it matches exactly, the head tilt is slightly off.

Jeff

D. Bergin
01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Looks like a team or league issue promotional photo. You see these in all the various sports, and a lot of them end up as part of newspaper archives.

mouschi
01-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't think it matches exactly, the head tilt is slightly off.

Jeff

A photoshop overlay appears to be the same image, though you do need to tilt the card a bit.

Looks like a team or league issue promotional photo. You see these in all the various sports, and a lot of them end up as part of newspaper archives.

Very interesting. Is it possible the Athletics put it together, which was then purchased by Sporting News then licensed to Donruss or similar?

ibuysportsephemera
01-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Looks to me like a team issued publicity photo. I have a bunch (from all teams and sports) that The Sporting News used in their publications.

Jeff

mouschi
01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Looks to me like a team issued publicity photo. I have a bunch (from all teams and sports) that The Sporting News used in their publications.

Jeff

Ahh, ok. So perhaps several of these were made, but this one was just the one used by the sporting news perhaps?

ibuysportsephemera
01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Ahh, ok. So perhaps several of these were made, but this one was just the one used by the sporting news perhaps?

Having no knowledge...but my gut says that they were widely distributed. I always guessed that TSN would either request these for stories or that maybe the teams sent them directly to them.

Jeff

JustinD
01-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Why wouldn't it be color? Any information greatly appreciated!

Press photos are almost always in B/W as they are meant to be used in a newspaper format. ie:no color.

the way this one looks with the team logo is unlike traditional UP photos, this looks team provided.

mouschi
01-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Press photos are almost always in B/W as they are meant to be used in a newspaper format. ie:no color.

the way this one looks with the team logo is unlike traditional UP photos, this looks team provided.

Thanks again for your help! This ended up being from the newspaper archives, so while it may not be the only one that was made, it was the original one used for the publication it was sent to, and the fact that it is the 86 donruss picture, I decided it had to be in my collection.