PDA

View Full Version : T202 backs

garymc
01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Is there any significance to the brown or black ink used for printing on the backs ?

Leon
01-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Is there any significance to the brown or black ink used for printing on the backs ?

I don't remember there being significance to the black vs brown colors. Maybe one of our T202 collectors will chime in.

ronniehatesjazz
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm no expert on them but I've never heard of brown ink; just black and red.

scomeau
01-04-2017, 05:55 PM
I have quite a few, but have never seen any list of the possible varieties. The red seems less common, but I don't know much more.

Like those cards. Fun to read the dialect of the times. Print and cut quality is pretty rough, but the portraits + action shots are great. I like to look hard at the background of the center B&W shots to see some of the strange looking parks they played in.

I'll be watching for someone to help with the known varieties.

ronniehatesjazz
01-04-2017, 11:23 PM
I have quite a few, but have never seen any list of the possible varieties. The red seems less common, but I don't know much more.

Like those cards. Fun to read the dialect of the times. Print and cut quality is pretty rough, but the portraits + action shots are great. I like to look hard at the background of the center B&W shots to see some of the strange looking parks they played in.

I'll be watching for someone to help with the known varieties.

You're correct. I believe red makes up ~1/4 of the total pop. It's a fairly clean set with few variations and none that are very expensive. A very underrated and beautiful set IMO. Amazed with how affordable the set is.

itjclarke
01-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Hey guys, here are a couple links to old threads discussing T202s and their backs, as well as some data compiled by a board member Lee. Love the T202s! Happy hunting.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=84284
Black 649: 60%
Red 30 : 37%
Black 30 : 3%

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141365&page=2

scomeau
01-05-2017, 06:35 AM
Oh oh. You may have triggered a bad habit. I will now examine the backs and maybe watch for opportunities to accumulate...

Leon
01-05-2017, 06:42 AM
I don't remember there being significance to the black vs brown colors. Maybe one of our T202 collectors will chime in.

My brown was probably faded black as I think fading happens a lot with different series (fading to another color)..

ValKehl
01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Here's a Johnson/Street "Birmingham Gets to third" with a black Factory 30 back that I picked up in a LOTG Auction a couple of years ago. Can anyone tell me if a Johnson/Knight "Knight Catches a Runner" has been confirmed to exist with a black Factory 30 back? Thanks in advance.
Val

Sterling Sports Auctions
01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
HI Val,

I have not tracked these much since I purchased Sterling but I do have a copy myself that is SGC 20.

Lee