PDA

View Full Version : Future Autograph Items

Klrdds
01-02-2017, 07:56 PM
I don't know how many replies this thread will get but I would like to hear some opinions.
As an advanced autograph collector with over 45 years of collecting experience I have always tried to get premium items for my collection . Before I started to slowly sell part of my collection I had over 225 TLS and HLS , over 200 checks and over 100 documents in it and would upgrade whenever possible to a better item.
My question is this ....with the players whose careers are post 1990/2000 will we be able to find premium items such as letters , checks, or contracts due to email, Twitter; due to direct deposit of players checks or online banking , and contracts being closely guarded by teams and agents and the League offices ?
Are we destined to only baseballs and photos and maybe a 3x5 for the current and future generations of players ?

icollectDCsports
01-02-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't know how many replies this thread will get but I would like to hear some opinions.
As an advanced autograph collector with over 45 years of collecting experience I have always tried to get premium items for my collection . Before I started to slowly sell part of my collection I had over 225 TLS and HLS , over 200 checks and over 100 documents in it and would upgrade whenever possible to a better item.
My question is this ....with the players whose careers are post 1990/2000 will we be able to find premium items such as letters , checks, or contracts due to email, Twitter; due to direct deposit of players checks or online banking , and contracts being closely guarded by teams and agents and the League offices ?
Are we destined to only baseballs and photos and maybe a 3x5 for the current and future generations of players ?

I think you pretty much answered your own question, and fewer of the items you describe will be available. Few people write letters, checks are written much less frequently, etc.

Mr. Zipper
01-03-2017, 05:25 AM
I think you are spot on, but the question is will some of these things be considered premium items in the future?

I can see that contracts would always have demand. But, in light of the availability of signed balls, bats, uniforms, cleats, bases, gloves, wrist bands, hats, etc., will there be much demand ongoing for checks or letters of modern players?

Maddog
01-05-2017, 06:49 PM
I agree. Forget a hand written letter. If you found one it would probably only be worth something to us older collectors.
Cancelled checks don't really exist anymore unless you use a small bank. At best you get a copy of your check.
I would think that game used items are the new premium items.