PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Topps checklists

swarmee
01-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Is card #9 (first series check list) short printed? There don't seem to be many for sale, and historic prices are much higher than any other series. Why would Topps short print a checklist? Weren't they usually printed in both series 1 and 2?

ALR-bishop
01-03-2017, 07:42 AM
John--like you I think all Cls from the Topps 1960s sets and early 70s sets were DPs. As a result there are at least two variants of all those Cls. Usually but not always minor cropping differences. I do not currently have access to my 70 set but recall that there are two versions of CL1. I think on that card the players bat on the front touches the top white border , or there is a gap between the end of the bat and the border

smellthegum
01-03-2017, 08:26 AM
I've never seen a sheet to back this up but I believe the first series CL is single-printed along with each of the other cards in that series. There are 132 cards in series 1 so a full sheet would have likely contained 2 of every card, no short prints or double prints. I think all the subsequent series CLs were double-printed, which explains why they seem much more common and have multiple variations. (Series 2 was 131 cards and CL3 was therefore double-printed, for example). So it wasn't actually short-printed so much as the other checklists being double-printed makes it seem so.

Indeed, #9 was the final card I needed to complete my set. High grade, well-centered ones seem especially hard to come by.

rats60
01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
John--like you I think all Cls from the Topps 1960s sets and early 70s sets were DPs. As a result there are at least two variants of all those Cls. Usually but not always minor cropping differences. I do not currently have access to my 70 set but recall that there are two versions of CL1. I think on that card the players bat on the front touches the top white border , or there is a gap between the end of the bat and the border

1st series checklists were not double printed. When you bought 1st series packs you got 1st and 2nd series checklists, 2nd series packs you got 2nd and 3rd series checklists, etc. The last series only had checklists from the last series.

rats60
01-03-2017, 09:00 AM
I've never seen a sheet to back this up but I believe the first series CL is single-printed along with each of the other cards in that series. There are 132 cards in series 1 so a full sheet would have likely contained 2 of every card, no short prints or double prints. I think all the subsequent series CLs were double-printed, which explains why they seem much more common and have multiple variations. (Series 2 was 131 cards and CL3 was therefore double-printed, for example). So it wasn't actually short-printed so much as the other checklists being double-printed makes it seem so.

The CL3 was single printed on the 2nd series sheet. The extra card was CL2. CL3 would also be single printed on the 3rd series sheet. This is why there were often variations of checklists from this era.

ALR-bishop
01-03-2017, 12:24 PM
I am sure you guys are right, but there are two version of the first checklist as noted above. I have both versions

Rich Klein
01-03-2017, 04:19 PM
That card should not have been short printed BUT it appears on so many want lists and not just due to condition (marked off)

So, something must have occurred. Dave Hornish any ideas?

Dr. Beckett had a 264 card 1st series sheet at one point and there were no short prints on that sheet

Rich

swarmee
01-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks; it seems flipped because normally series 7 checklists are the rarest.

rats60
01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks; it seems flipped because normally series 7 checklists are the rarest.

Series 7 checklists were in 6th and 7th series packs.