PDA

View Full Version : Rack Packs?

irv
01-01-2017, 02:10 PM
I always wondered what the story was behind these, namely, if the info, like what is written in this sellers ad, is true?

Personally, I think they are somewhat made up/fake as I believe these packs/cards should sell for a lot more than what I am seeing, but then again, maybe I am wrong?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152369823050?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mrmopar
01-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Obviously there is a market for unopened sports cards and that adds a premium to what may actually be inside the packs. I have bought a few of the newer packs that contains 70s cards that I am fairly certain were made in the last couple of years. I have never paid more than what I felt was fair as a novelty pack with my favorite player on top.

I don't buy unopened packs unless they feature my player on them and that would only take me back to the 70s. I have never wanted, nor purchased one of the older packs that may have actually been made in the 50s or 60s, but I don't think I could put too much money into one knowing that nobody seems to know much about them at all. There are hobby historians and old publications and yet these packs still seem to be a mystery? Seems reasonable that they were made much later, perhaps the 70s, 80s or even the 90s.

irv
01-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Obviously there is a market for unopened sports cards and that adds a premium to what may actually be inside the packs. I have bought a few of the newer packs that contains 70s cards that I am fairly certain were made in the last couple of years. I have never paid more than what I felt was fair as a novelty pack with my favorite player on top.

I don't buy unopened packs unless they feature my player on them and that would only take me back to the 70s. I have never wanted, nor purchased one of the older packs that may have actually been made in the 50s or 60s, but I don't think I could put too much money into one knowing that nobody seems to know much about them at all. There are hobby historians and old publications and yet these packs still seem to be a mystery? Seems reasonable that they were made much later, perhaps the 70s, 80s or even the 90s.

I never really dug into them looking for info, but seeing as they are not discussed here, that I have seen, I figured they were just another fake/scam that someone was using in order to sell some used cards?

The sellers description in the above ad sounds believable but like you, I always thought they were manufactured after the fact, not during production, and by someone with scamming/deceit in mind.

swarmee
01-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Christmas rack packs are all basically considered fakes, because so many of them are. There are a couple of guys who just made thousands of them and sold them off slowly, flooding the market over time. I would not touch them with the intent to either resell them at a future time, or buy to crack open and send the cards in for grading.
Stay away!

Zach Wheat
01-02-2017, 07:03 AM
There was a post in SCD on warning signs when buying packs with a paragraph on Christmas Rack Packs here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/vintage-pack-resealers-prey-on-uninformed-collectors/

JustinD
01-02-2017, 07:39 AM
I have never seen one I would consider valid proof that these were ever even produced by a third party at the time, and they most assuredly did not come from Topps.

Never saw a one prior to about 89'...all of them are fantasy pieces to me.

irv
01-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Thought so but wasn't sure.
Surprising how well these are made.

Thanks for the info, guys! :)