PDA

View Full Version : T-206 How do you collect?

rayray
12-29-2016, 02:05 PM
I've been assembling a collection of T206 hof portraits for a while and would like to get other collector opinions on this. Which is more favorable to you, Diversity or Uniformity?

Basically, a set with as much different backs possible? Or a set containing all of the same backs?

Sean
12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
I prefer different backs, especially if I can combine a HOFer with a rare back.

KMayUSA6060
12-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Just recently diving into The Monster, I've done a lot of research on the different backs and the best ways to collect, etc. Pretty much what I've decided is I'm going to try and collect at least 1 of each back. I've also figured out which are my favorite backs, and am going to target those as frequently as possible. Budget constraints, player/back combination constraints, etc., hinder this plan some, but I'm still very excited about my method.

PolarBear
12-29-2016, 02:25 PM
I don't collect them but if I did, it would be a back set, and that probably either a Piedmont 150 - with only 150 cards - or a Polar Bear set.

bnorth
12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
In my case very strangely.:) When I first joined this site I got the T206 bug. I purchased around 40-45 over a few months then decided they was ugly and sold them for about what I had in them.

Now I have changed my mind.:confused: I am going to just collect a card from each cigarette brand. Not one of each back but just one of each brand.:)

Good luck on your quest.

vintagerookies51
12-29-2016, 03:32 PM
I've recently gotten into T206 hall of gamers and have been debating this myself. I haven't been too worried about backs- I think I only have Sweet Cap and Piedmont backs with one Old Mill so far. Eventually, however, I'd like to get a better variety of backs, especially ones that are visually appealing like American Beauty. Not planning on getting all the backs, but definitely not focusing on one.

VoodooChild
12-29-2016, 04:44 PM
I've never posted "advice" on this site, but I joined 4 years ago and had some of the same questions that you newer guys have now.

What I've learned is that however you decide to collect now will change several times in the next few years. Especially the more you read and learn from this site and your own research. Maybe you'll change to collecting another set, or a specific team, or player, or you'll decide to be a Type collector. But it will change a few times, trust me.

So, for those of you starting your Prewar collection with T206's (which is where I was 4 years ago), after lots of trial and error here's what I've learned: Don't just buy commons with PD or SC backs just to fill a set. Those cards will always be available. Buy tougher commons, stars/popular players and/or HOFers with the most uncommon backs you can afford. Also, buy the nicest condition/highest graded you can afford but at the very least no or very little paper loss, no creases across the face, etc. Eye- appeal is the most important. A centered nice looking PSA 3'ish is my "go-to".

Following that advice will make it easier to sell and help fund whatever you decide to collect next.

Good Luck!

mrvster
12-29-2016, 08:17 PM
everyone! there really isn't a "wrong" way to collect the set.....wagner, plank, magie, doyle have made this set one of the most popular sets of all time....

collect it the way you enjoy it!

but , it if I could give advice, hofers are "blue chip" always, especially with rare backs...

cobb and the legends especially are a "good investment"

I'm a sucker for rare items of the set...

tuff player combos, one of a kind printers scraps, rare backs , proofs, freaks, ect....

when it comes to rarity, condition is never really an issue....

one of the most satisfying is the rare backs and scraps for me:)

Stetson_1883
12-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Im of the same mindset as a few other posters above.

I started going for the monster and got to 125 and then decided it just simply wasn't going to happen in my lifetime.

So now Im going for original backs in decent condition. I dont care whether the card says factory 23 or whatever in tiny print just the main difference makers....one of each - PB, Cycle, Lenox, Broadleaf etc.

Rarest I have is a Caroline Brights but am looking for rarer. See wish list below :D:D

Thromdog
12-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Diversity vs Uniformity.

For your collection, I pick availability. ;)

When collecting a back run of a player, you obviously are dealing with diversity. When your focus is on a subset of backs, you obviously are dealing with Uniformity.

In your case your focus is on the front, so I would be focusing on what you feel is the best front. A WaJo portrait is a fave amongst collectors. Get the nicest one you can and don't worry about the back.

Good luck on the hunt!

scomeau
12-30-2016, 04:35 AM
T206 obviously has a huge following and is the 500 pound gorilla. But it is a really daunting task, and with the exception of a few, I don't really find them that attractive. Heresy, I know. And, the diversity in the set is so broad, I couldn't make up my mind what to chase. I do have some nice individuals like a Johnson Portrait, but I choked on the thought of set collection.

I focused on M116 instead. A fair amount of 'diversity' with pastel/blue and ink color variations, but not SO much as to make it impossible. I like portraits, and they are a good source for that style. I think they are a more visible attractive set, have most of the same HOFers as T206, are available in generally better condition for the $, and still offer a fair challenge for a collector.

rayray
01-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Love the insight on the topic, now I have a lot to think about in terms of direction of my collection. Thanks for the input!!

Leon
01-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Back collecting and type collecting are a ton of fun for folks who want diversity and aren't so much set collectors. There is almost an infinite number of ways to collect T206. I collected an almost complete back run and then had cards I just liked, such as the Young portrait and a few others. Have fun!!

In my case very strangely.:) When I first joined this site I got the T206 bug. I purchased around 40-45 over a few months then decided they was ugly and sold them for about what I had in them.

Now I have changed my mind.:confused: I am going to just collect a card from each cigarette brand. Not one of each back but just one of each brand.:)

Good luck on your quest.

garymc
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
I only collect NY Highlanders, all variations,any grade and as many different backs as I can. Love them all !!!

Sean
01-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Back collecting and type collecting are a ton of fun for folks who want diversity and aren't so much set collectors. There is almost an infinite number of ways to collect T206. I collected an almost complete back run and then had cards I just liked, such as the Young portrait and a few others. Have fun!!

Leon had a near complete back run all on one card. :D

Pat R
01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I collect them a few different ways. One of them is re-occurring print flaws.
I think they give a possible look into part of the printing process. So far I haven't found any of them that occur with both a 150 and 350 back and
the 350's seem to occur in different groups. There are a lot of these flaws
in the set and I enjoy looking for and collecting new ones.

Konetchy with blue dot on cheek

Tenney with broken Y on jersey

Pastorius with B- on cap

Gibson with blue dot over U on jersey

Goode missing part of C on jersey
So far I've only found this on PD350's but there should be some other
350's with this flaw based on patterns from other 350 flaws.

KMayUSA6060
01-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I collect them a few different ways. One of them is re-occurring print flaws.
I think they give a possible look into part of the printing process. So far I haven't found any of them that occur with both a 150 and 350 back and
the 350's seem to occur in different groups. There are a lot of these flaws
in the set and I enjoy looking for and collecting new ones.

Pastorius with B- on cap

I give you a "B-" on this strategy. Oh so close to a passing "B". Better luck next semester.

Rhotchkiss
01-05-2017, 06:46 AM
I really love the rare(er) backs, as I think it is very cool to own one of only a few of something. Lately, I have been focusing on mid-high grade HOFers with rare backs, and I think my goal may be to have an HOFer of each back graded 5 or higher. So far, I have a good start -- Cobb red Tolstoi 6.5, Cy Young Bare Hand Sovereign 7, Evers Chicago on shirt broad leaf 5, Jennings, two hands EPDG 6.5, Wajo Hands at Chest Old Mill 5, Cy Young Glove 6.5, Matty white cap 6 (finalizing deal now with forum member). I also seem to have an affinity for Tolstoi's, and have been hoarding HOFers of those as well -- Wajo Hands at Chest Tolstoi 6.5, Lajoie w/bat Tolstoi 5.5, etc. I look at cards as much as an investment as a hobby and feel (hope) that higher-end, rare back HOFers are my best bet to preserve or make money. Obviously, investors will collect differently from pure collectors; I am guilty of the former

deltaarnet
01-05-2017, 12:07 PM
I collect Cubs and southern league.
To date:
32 Cubs with different Backs
12 southern league mostly Old Mill