PDA

View Full Version : Another security question

Snapolit1
12-29-2016, 07:23 AM
All the talk of floods, safes, collectible insurance, etc., got me thinking, what would happen to a properly encased PSA or SGC slab if it was floating in water. Likely destruction? Likely ok? Of course I could take a cheap card and conduct my own battery of tests. . . . .

Leon
12-29-2016, 07:52 AM
All the talk of floods, safes, collectible insurance, etc., got me thinking, what would happen to a properly encased PSA or SGC slab if it was floating in water. Likely destruction? Likely ok? Of course I could take a cheap card and conduct my own battery of tests. . . . .

I don't think the cases would be"waterproof" as much as water resistant. I would think likely NOT ok.....but am not sure. Maybe someone has tried it? :confused:

bnorth
12-29-2016, 07:58 AM
From posts on this and other forums the Beckett slabs held up the best by far during Hurricane Katrina. I seen several PSA and SGC slabs that held cards that looked water damaged but none in Beckett slabs.

JustinD
12-29-2016, 08:06 AM
From posts on this and other forums the Beckett slabs held up the best by far during Hurricane Katrina. I seen several PSA and SGC slabs that held cards that looked water damaged but none in Beckett slabs.

Same experience here.

Beckett's are not waterproof, but they give you much more time before ruination. :)

Slabs are like raincoats. They won't keep you dry in a swimming pool, but maybe in a light shower.

savedfrommyspokes
12-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Same experience here.

Beckett's are not waterproof, but they give you much more time before ruination. :)

Slabs are like raincoats. They won't keep you dry in a swimming pool, but maybe in a light shower.

One would think by 2017, a TPG would have (cost effectively) designed a water proof holder.

KMayUSA6060
12-29-2016, 09:25 AM
One would think by 2017, a TPG would have (cost effectively) designed a water proof holder.

+1. I was thinking the exact same thing.

drcy
12-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Put them in plastic baggies.

pawpawdiv9
12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Has anyone thought about vacuum-sealed these suckers, just like you do your food????

JustinD
12-29-2016, 12:52 PM
I use pelican cases that are great for travel to shows and also fit in my safe for my favorites.

http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/p-12272-pelican-1120-case.aspx?gclid=COra7K6VmtECFRK5wAodzyoIkg

dougscats
12-29-2016, 01:29 PM
I lost more than a dozen slabbed cards in Hurricane Sandy
[of course, that was salt water, which compounded the issue].
Most of the ones I left in their slabs developed mold; surprisingly, one or two didn't.
The best course of action would've been to crack them open and soak them, which would have saved them all.

vintagebaseballcardguy
12-29-2016, 02:06 PM
I use pelican cases that are great for travel to shows and also fit in my safe for my favorites.

http://www.pelicancasesforless.com/p-12272-pelican-1120-case.aspx?gclid=COra7K6VmtECFRK5wAodzyoIkg

About how many PSA/SGC cards could you fit inside one of those?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KingFisk
12-30-2016, 11:46 AM

Interested in this answer as well. Thanks!

JustinD
12-30-2016, 03:03 PM

Sorry, I didn't see this yesterday.

The fit is really up to you. Depending on the model you order it will have foam or dividers. I have one of the little ones in the link I plucked the foam from and have just my high dollar cards in (flat and horizontal), so I can grab it and show friends.

I also have a 1520 (i think, I re-appropriated it from another use) that has at least 150+ psa/sgc/beckett cards with lots of room to spare as well ( I could probably double that). I don't keep everything in there, just a mishmash of stuff. I trimmed foam to have them fit vertically. They have some that are huge that could fit a large collection if needed. Just check the measurements for your needs.

I learned of these cases from a friend who said that reporters would keep cameras and such in them while he was serving in Afghanistan.

I love the foam tech and use them for handgun storage as they are so easy to custom fit and just started using them for cards very recently. These do float as long as you don't exceed the weight specs.

I don't have any pics and am currently nowhere near my cards, but I saw this guy on youtube with basically the same setup. He has the same cases as me, however I just have four big slots in the 1520, not the individual ones. (and not to brag, but I have better stuff in mine...lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJN0Mzg4PE