PDA

View Full Version : Historic Willie Mays program?

RichardSimon
12-28-2016, 09:44 AM
I have owned this program for about 20 years with many other NY Giants programs. When I did shows regularly walk ins would come in with programs all the time and I bought them regularly.
The other thread here about historic programs got me to dig this one out.
Willie Mays first HR, if the pitchers are correct.
I did as much research as I could and could not really find anything to refute it but how do I check out rosters to verify players? I checked the box scores of every Giants-Braves game and the penciled in pitching match up was only in that Willie Mays 1st HR game.
Doug can you help here?

ibuysportsephemera
12-28-2016, 10:09 AM
Richard, I have a few programs that I wanted to make sure of the exact date (last game in NY for the Giants, Roger Maris 61st HR, Nolan Ryan No Hitter, etc.). What I have done is taken the name of some of the obscure players on the rosters and check their game logs on retrosheet or similar sites. Many times a player only appears on the roster for a few games. If you get lucky, you will be able to narrow down the dates of many games by doing this. Just FYI, it can be tedious.

Good luck.

Jeff

WillowGrove
12-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I think you're right Richard. I like researching this stuff and looking over the line-ups, the Braves' Luis Olmo only played with the Braves until 6/6 and only played in NY on 5-28 (Mays' first HR) and 5-30 game 1 - starting both games.

So along with that days pitchers written in, I'd say you're right!

ETA: Exactly Jeff!

RichardSimon
12-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Peter,
Thank you so much for all the leg work. I was going to follow the advice in the prior post but you saved me the time.
Now I know I have a great program.
Thanks again.

Richard

RichardSimon
12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Richard, I have a few programs that I wanted to make sure of the exact date (last game in NY for the Giants, Roger Maris 61st HR, Nolan Ryan No Hitter, etc.). What I have done is taken the name of some of the obscure players on the rosters and check their game logs on retrosheet or similar sites. Many times a player only appears on the roster for a few games. If you get lucky, you will be able to narrow down the dates of many games by doing this. Just FYI, it can be tedious.

Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for the info, I got lucky and Peter did the leg work :).
Seems like I have a great program.

Richard

insidethewrapper
12-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Willie's first HR was 5-28-51 in the first inning off of HOF pitcher
Warren Spahn.

WillowGrove
12-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Peter,
Thank you so much for all the leg work. I was going to follow the advice in the prior post but you saved me the time.
Now I know I have a great program.
Thanks again.

Richard

Sure Richard. Nice item!

doug.goodman
12-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Hi Richard -

Just seeing this thread, and moments away from jumping in the car for a 3 hour drive, but here is a scan of my Mays first HR game program, which I picked up in the REA spring 2012 auction (lot #1075).

I'll try to take a better look when I get to the magical city of Bakersfield.

Take care,
Doug

doug.goodman
12-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Well, since I haven't left yet, due to the lovely wife needing more time to pack, and comparing the scans, they look to be the same, unless I'm missing something.

Here's the cover of mine.

Doug

RichardSimon
01-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Doug,
Thanks for your reply and confirmation.
Much appreciated.

Richard