PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Yankees Player-owned Team Photo?

Jobu
12-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Has anyone seen other examples of this photo that may have been given to players by the Yankees?

It is a 33 Yankees team photo that purportedly belonged to Pete Appleton (aka Pete Jablonowski). The photo measures 4 7/8" x 2 1/4" and says "Yankees Team - 33 Thorne Photo" on the bottom right. I was told that the team gave two such pictures to every player. The larger version of the team photo can be seen here:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/amazing_thorne_studios_type_i_original_1933_new_yo-lot21946.aspx

Interestingly, the photos are not identical (Gehrig is looking at the camera in the small version but not in the large one, the guy in the front row is holding his hat up in the small, not in the large, the trees on the left are from a slightly different angle, etc.).

The back has scrapbook residue - the thin yellow lines that are so common.

Thanks in advance.

MikeGarcia
12-28-2016, 05:37 AM
..I have Frank Crosetti's personal 1934 photo....same background story....given to the players....mine has his handwritten notations of some of the players' last names and positions....neat items....

Jobu
12-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mike, I am really happy to hear that there is another photo with the same story behind it. Also happy that yours is from a different year :D

Jobu
01-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Thought I would bump this to see if anyone else can add anything about my photo. Thanks!

judsonhamlin
01-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Do you know the link from Appleton to you? He had a long career with the Twins organization and had a fairly interesting life

Jobu
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM
The seller said he used to have a box of his stuff (long gone). I got the last two pieces - this photo and a championship award/charm from a military team in WWII that Appleton was on.