PDA

View Full Version : Indians Sign Encarnacion

KMayUSA6060
12-23-2016, 08:31 AM
From one Indians fan to many others on this board...

MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS

Cleveland FINALLY made a HUGE move!

irv
12-23-2016, 12:13 PM
From one Indians fan to many others on this board...

MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS

Cleveland FINALLY made a HUGE move!

I don't know the whole story, but Encarnacion is going to be missed big time in Toronto.:(

Personally, and I know I don't have much to base this on, but I am not sure I like the way the Jays are going.

Once Alex Anthopoulos left, I thought this is the beginning of the end, or to the end of what they had assembled under his tenure.

bravos4evr
12-23-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't know the whole story, but Encarnacion is going to be missed big time in Toronto.:(

Personally, and I know I don't have much to base this on, but I am not sure I like the way the Jays are going.

Once Alex Anthopoulos left, I thought this is the beginning of the end, or to the end of what they had assembled under his tenure.

I think that this is probably in the Jays best interest long term. You clear his salary, there is a HUGE free agent market coming in a couple of years with lots of young players...etc

Being that Donaldson was a later bloomer, you can hope he will maintain a bit longer and make another addition or two, and pow. Back to playoffs every year level.

irv
12-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I think that this is probably in the Jays best interest long term. You clear his salary, there is a HUGE free agent market coming in a couple of years with lots of young players...etc

Being that Donaldson was a later bloomer, you can hope he will maintain a bit longer and make another addition or two, and pow. Back to playoffs every year level.

I hope you're right, Nick, but it will be very hard for me to watch the Indians and double E play against the Jays.

Like many, he was my favorite player and imo, the back bone of the Jays.

clydepepper
12-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I wonder if Toronto will look to get Bautista back now.

My guess is that he won't get the $30M/per he initially said he was after, no matter who gets him.

irv
12-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Interesting article. Of course, some things most fans wouldn't likely know.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/23/blue-jays-fans-have-right-to-be-angry-about-encarnacion-departure

The thought was that signing a soon-to-be 34-year-old — who is destined to become a full-time DH — to so much term and money wasn’t in their best interest.

After striking a two-year deal with Steve Pearce about a month later, the Jays pretty well shut the door on any chance of Encarnacion returning.

Harken back to spring training last year. Encarnacion told the Sun’s Bob Elliott he didn’t think the Jays had it in their plans “for me to stay here,” adding that he was “disappointed” a contract extension hadn’t been reached.

With Encarnacion taking his parrot show to Cleveland, it’s likely the Jays won’t be flying as high in 2017. Not only are they losing a man who averaged 39 home runs over the past six years, the division has become that much tougher.

Of course, if the Jays make the playoffs in 2017 and advance to the ALCS or World Series, all will be forgiven. But if they take a step backward, the fans will turn on GM Ross Atkins and president Mark Shapiro. Many already have.

Encarnacion had become a huge fan favourite at the Rogers Centre with his quiet professionalism and ability to get a big hit when it counts. Now he’ll have a great opportunity to win a World Series with Cleveland