PDA

View Full Version : Premiums for rare(er) T206 Backs

Rhotchkiss
12-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi all. I am new to the forum, but very glad I found you all (indeed, I already screwed up and posted this mistakenly in the B/S/T section - sorry!).

I am a longtime collector - have assembled and sold a few collections - and got back in the game early last year. Lately I have focused on the T206 set, and particularly rarer backs of HOFs. In addition to a Magie 3 (Piedmont), I have acquired a Cy Young bare hand 7, sovereign back; a Cobb red SGC 80, Tolstoi back; an Evers Chicago on shirt BVG 5, broad leaf back, a Lajoie portrait 5, Sovereign, and a Walter Johnson hands at chest 5, Old Mill.

I really like the rare(er) backs but would appreciate thoughts on what premium they worth (over Piedmont and Sweet Corporal). I understand that some backs are rarer than others, and I don't need the minutia of the factory (although series is relevant), but just wondering what you all thought the premium one should pay for the various HOF rarer backs. And further, what extra premium, if any, should be given a relatively low population or the highest graded of an example (like my Cobb Tolstoi)? Sincere thanks

rdwyer
12-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Check out the T206 Insider Dynamic Checklists @ www.T206insider.com.

Sean
12-19-2016, 07:29 PM
The value of those cards is primarily determined by the fact that they are high grade Hall of Famers. I think that a Sovereign, Old Mill or Tolstoi might add up to a 20% premium, as none of those backs are really rare. The Broadleaf (350?) is different. That is a rare back, and while I don't have a percentage in mind, I would think that it would add a significant premium.

swarmee
12-19-2016, 07:35 PM
http://www.psacard.com/pop/t206/

Take a look at the PSA pop reports and the articles at the top of the page. As far as I understand it, having rarer backs on Hall of Famers means the multiplication factor based on back is smaller than for commons, because the cards start at a higher price point in the first place.

t206fix
12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Delete..

swarmee
12-20-2016, 04:49 AM
Another point is to worry about the "minutiae" of the factory numbers. Some are exceedingly rare and other collectors care about them and will pay a premium for them. There was a big hubbub this year on eBay when someone listed like 40 cards from the Factory 30 series, some of which went for around $200 a common. It's possible these were cut off a scrap sheet from the printer because they were not supposed to be released. There are also some interesting cases where the factory was covered up, and another factory number was added above it. Those ones are called "Overprints" and also have a value bump.

Jobu
12-20-2016, 10:02 AM
There is really only one factory-issued back where the factory number makes a big difference in the value: Piedmont 350-460 factory 42 (25 is the common back). For a rarity list I would use this:

http://t206resource.com/Back%20Rankings%20List.html