PDA

View Full Version : A nice T206 Red Cobb.......short story

Leon
12-18-2016, 09:01 AM
So I am set up at the Dallas Card Show yesterday and a very nice lady comes up to me and strikes up a conversation. She tells me she is getting into vintage baseball cards. I say, rock on. She shows me her first big purchase. It is a great looking T206 Red Cobb, in a GAI 4 holder (with a top border most likely being the reason it is still in a GAI holder). I asked her if she knew about GAI. She said no. I explained. That card in a PSA or SGC holder is probably close to 3k today.....in a GAI holder, maybe 1/2 of that? Nothing like learning by experience. :eek:

bnorth
12-18-2016, 09:09 AM
So I am set up at the Dallas Card Show yesterday and a very nice lady comes up to me and strikes up a conversation. She tells me she is getting into vintage baseball cards. I say, rock on. She shows me her first big purchase. It is a great looking T206 Red Cobb, in a GAI 4 holder (with a top border most likely being the reason it is still in a GAI holder). I asked her if she knew about GAI. She said no. I explained. That card in a PSA or SGC holder is probably close to 3k today.....in a GAI holder, maybe 1/2 of that? Nothing like learning by experience. :eek:

Did she say what she paid for it? I know I have had the learning by experience, experience myself.

Leon
12-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Did she say what she paid for it? I know I have had the learning by experience, experience myself.

I didn't ask but I am pretty sure she was completely unknowing of GAI and that isn't a good recipe for a good buy. She did say she was going to get it looked at by Beckett. I told her I think BVG is a great grading company but Beckett doesn't promote vintage too much and unfortunately their holders also don't bring the most in vintage. But to get an opinion and the actual grading, I think BVG does great. I am quite sure she is going to find out about GAI the hard way....

Pat R
12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
I didn't ask but I am pretty sure she was completely unknowing of GAI and that isn't a good recipe for a good buy. She did say she was going to get it looked at by Beckett. I told her I think BVG is a great grading company but Beckett doesn't promote vintage too much and unfortunately their holders also don't bring the most in vintage. But to get an opinion and the actual grading, I think BVG does great. I am quite sure she is going to find out about GAI the hard way....

Was it this one Leon?

Leon
12-18-2016, 09:39 AM
That looks like it Pat? Did you sell it to her? :)

Pat R
12-18-2016, 09:43 AM
That looks like it Pat? Did you sell it to her? :)

No, It was listed on ebay for $2800 OBO. It sold for $2200.

Leon
12-18-2016, 09:45 AM
I told her there was, imo, about a 10% chance there isn't a problem with it. I am not sure that made her feel much better but it was the truth. Why would anyone sell a high end card in a GAI holder today?

No, It was listed on ebay for $2800 OBO. It sold for $2200.

mechanicalman
12-18-2016, 09:50 AM
One of my first five purchases when I got back into collecting was a high grade 1954 Topps Jackie in a PSVA (not a typo) holder. Fortunately, I was able to get my money back.

There's definitely a learning curve to this hobby.

Pat R
12-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I told her there was, imo, about a 10% chance there isn't a problem with it. I am not sure that made her feel much better but it was the truth. Why would anyone sell a high end card in a GAI holder today?

I agree Leon. It's a nice looking card but if it is trimmed it's about a $700-$800
card.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-18-2016, 09:56 AM
I know I am willing to gamble a LITTLE bit on "First Graded" because the odds are higher that it was graded earlier on in GAI's run when they were still trying to fix what they saw as PSA's problems.

I also do take advantage of the fact that sometimes people over-react to GAI holders. I picked up a trimmed Leaf Short Print in a GAI 6 holder for $30 cracked it out and sold it AS TRIMMED for $100. Guy was trying to complete a low grade set and basically needed SP's any way he could get them cheap. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to go as well for the lady in your example.

Leon
12-18-2016, 10:17 AM
I and most longtime hobbyists would probably concur. There is no doubt there are good cards in GAI and PRO holders alike. The laws of probability probably state so :).
To me, the more expensive of a card in one of those holders the more likely there is to be a problem. Anyone can ask any auctioneer of vintage cards and get the same answer.

I know I am willing to gamble a LITTLE bit on "First Graded" because the odds are higher that it was graded earlier on in GAI's run when they were still trying to fix what they saw as PSA's problems.

I also do take advantage of the fact that sometimes people over-react to GAI holders. I picked up a trimmed Leaf Short Print in a GAI 6 holder for $30 cracked it out and sold it AS TRIMMED for $100. Guy was trying to complete a low grade set and basically needed SP's any way he could get them cheap. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to go as well for the lady in your example.

Kawika
12-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Might be a few new members who haven't seen this.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/bbhofthefirstclass/huge/exexCobb%20holding%20T206ex.jpg