PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on whether this is a real Kerry Wood autograph

Scott Garner
12-16-2016, 06:33 AM
Hey all,
Just curious if anyone would care to opine on whether they believe this is a legit Kerry Wood autograph?
Thanks in advance for taking a moment to give me your opinion.

mighty bombjack
12-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't know his autograph at all, but I'll just say that the ball you show looks very slowly drawn to me. You see that long line stretching from the bottom of the K? That looks shaky (as does a lot of his first name), and people don't sign their names like that.

That's just my gut instinct on seeing it. I personally wouldn't buy it.

niembre
12-16-2016, 11:08 AM
I have a couple of Kerry Wood autographs and they do not look anything like that. I would also stay away.

Scott Garner
12-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for weighing in. I couldn't agree more. When I looked at the ball, the sig does look drawn and the "y" in Kerry finishes of to the right on his down stroke, where every other Wood sig that I have seen ends up to the left.

Today it's hard to imagine Kerry Wood being a forged signature, but back in 1998 he probably was for a while because of his early success....

mighty bombjack
12-16-2016, 06:44 PM
This was probably forged shortly after that 20 K game.

He was a very good pitcher 'til the arm gave out.

Den*nis O*Brien
12-17-2016, 01:07 PM
....So, I am assuming this is a real auto. But in the muddy water of auto's ???
I have included the original SCD ad for the event and the photo the promoter sent with the ball. Is that Kerry Wood in the photo? I don't know but offer this up for the OP to compare with and show where some of these balls came from.
Kerry Wood is very much appreciated in Chicago and by Cubs fans everywhere. My 28 year old son still hangs Wood's "Radar Love" poster in his room!!

Scott Garner
12-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Dennis,
Yours is 100% authentic

Den*nis O*Brien
12-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Dennis,
Yours is 100% authentic

.....Scott! I hope you find an example that you can add to your collection with confidence. I think Kerry has moved back to Chicago metropolitan area with his family. He may be doing shows in the future.
Sincerely, Dennis

Scott Garner
12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks Dennis!