PDA

View Full Version : My 1934 Goudey set is complete!

OldEnglishD
12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
It has been 2 years since I rediscovered the hobby, attended my first National (2015) and learned all about graded cards. 99% of what I have learned about the hobby as an adult has come from these boards – Thank You.
In my childhood, it had always been about buying packs and building a set of baseball cards with the occasional hockey and football sets keeping my attention through the fall/winter. So in early 2015, with a little financial flexibility and the security of graded cards (boy did I have that wrong), I decided to build a set of PSA 1934 Goudeys (Gehrig has always been my idol and he was on almost every card in a manageably sized 96 card set). Gehrig also won the Triple Crown in 1934 to boot!
Long story short, I recently completed the set and thought I’d share it here. It's really nothing special, mainly PSA 4-6 with the 2 Gehrig cards lesser, but it's mine :-)

It’s currently #20 on the PSA set registry (#10 if you only consider complete sets!). It’s displayed in my office at home along with the 3 wrapper variations and a World Series ticket (the Gas House Gang Cardinals defeated my Tigers in 7 games). I also have a program from Game 6 in Detroit, but I haven’t come up with a good way to display it on the wall. The poster I came across on eBay, it’s modern. The display cases are from Pennzoni – love em’.

Anyway, thanks for all your help along the way, and thanks for letting me share.

Dave

Kawika
12-15-2016, 12:58 PM
"Nothing special", my eye. Great accomplishment. Fantastic presentation.

Stampsfan
12-15-2016, 01:04 PM
"Nothing special", my eye. Great accomplishment. Fantastic presentation.

+1.

Don't undersell the commitment, accomplishment, and passion you obviously have.

Nice display too.

WillowGrove
12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Congrats to you Dave! And it IS something special! Enjoy it.

vintagesportscollector
12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
+1.

Don't undersell the commitment, accomplishment, and passion you obviously have.

Nice display too.

+1. congrats!! Beautiful...but that room is a little bare :rolleyes:. You have room for more. Time to start another set ;).

h2oya311
12-15-2016, 01:21 PM
awesome! Amazing that you completed it in under 2 years! I have been working on two sets for far longer and am only 85% complete on one and 70% complete on the other! Don't sell yourself short!

And yes, those displays are awesome! You can always upgrade if you feel any don't look good...but from far away, they look perfect!!!

Super awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

Sean
12-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Great job. But now you have to decide What's Next? Whenever I complete a project I always find another one to work on. Good luck. :)

brob28
12-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Great accomplishment congratulations - the display's look great!!

gemmint77
12-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Congrats. Looks so cool displayed like that. What's your next goal?

KMayUSA6060
12-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Congratulations, and excellent display.

Echoing the poster above me, any idea what's next for you?

mechanicalman
12-15-2016, 03:01 PM
From one Goudey-collecting, Tigers-loving dude to another, congrats and thanks for sharing. Please don't be afraid to share close-ups of Greenberg, Gehrig, Dean., et. al.

LuckyLarry
12-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Awesome!

clydepepper
12-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Great Job, Dave - Beautiful Display!

It has been 2 years since I rediscovered the hobby, attended my first National (2015) and learned all about graded cards. 99% of what I have learned about the hobby as an adult has come from these boards – Thank You.
In my childhood, it had always been about buying packs and building a set of baseball cards with the occasional hockey and football sets keeping my attention through the fall/winter. So in early 2015, with a little financial flexibility and the security of graded cards (boy did I have that wrong), I decided to build a set of PSA 1934 Goudeys (Gehrig has always been my idol and he was on almost every card in a manageably sized 96 card set). Gehrig also won the Triple Crown in 1934 to boot!
Long story short, I recently completed the set and thought I’d share it here. It's really nothing special, mainly PSA 4-6 with the 2 Gehrig cards lesser, but it's mine :-)

It’s currently #20 on the PSA set registry (#10 if you only consider complete sets!). It’s displayed in my office at home along with the 3 wrapper variations and a World Series ticket (the Gas House Gang Cardinals defeated my Tigers in 7 games). I also have a program from Game 6 in Detroit, but I haven’t come up with a good way to display it on the wall. The poster I came across on eBay, it’s modern. The display cases are from Pennzoni – love em’.

Anyway, thanks for all your help along the way, and thanks for letting me share.

Dave

Shoebox
12-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Congratulations on completing a classic set!

IMO even any completion of a prewar set deserves commendation!

Zach Wheat
12-16-2016, 05:08 AM
Congrats and nice presentation!

PowderedH2O
12-17-2016, 07:47 AM
That's a great set! And, nothing to be sorry about PSA 4-6. Those cards present well and when you've got 80+ year old cards that are in Vg/Ex condition or better from a classic set, you've really got something!

lentel
12-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Looks fantastic.. great display... great job :)