PDA

View Full Version : OT - What is it about framing?

conor912
12-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I have a couple nice pieces I've been meaning to get framed forever. I finally got around to taking them in today and on the way I was laughing to myself that I'm probably killing the value of them. Anyone else notice how some (seems like the majority of) collectors tend to shy away from framed pieces? It's like they prefer to have them in crappy oversized top loaders with sticker residue on them, as if being in a top loader makes it a collectible but being professionally matted and framed makes it tainted somehow. Anyway, that's my deep thought by Jack Handy. Carry on.

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2016, 04:46 PM
I framed a Joe DiMaggio Wheaties box that was in really nice shape. Not that it was worth that much to begin with, but I am sure it's practically worthless now. But it looks good on my wall.

rainier2004
12-14-2016, 07:03 PM
I love framing stuff...

steve B
12-14-2016, 07:05 PM
I like framed stuff too. But seldom buy it. I do my own framing.

When I see something framed It always makes me wonder.

Was the framing done reversibly? Or did they glue the item to a backing board. (I have a couple things that were done like that, nothing expensive but it sort of bugs me.)

What are they hiding with the framing? Is that program missing a page or two, or the back cover. Does the nice looking card have back damage?
Most pro framing jobs are sealed with tape, and convincing a seller to cut or remove the tape to be sure the item isn't damaged is harder than it sounds.

Of course if the framing is part of the item or is period or fairly old I can forgive a lot. I bought a big picture of a B-1 that was signed on the mat by some of the engineers I think to celebrate the first test flight or some similar event. But the framing was cheaply done, and water has stuck the photo to the glass. If I could find that photo I'd replace the damaged one with a copy, but until then I just leave it as-is.

Steve B

rgpete
12-14-2016, 07:14 PM
Framing is good, when using archival methods

AustinMike
12-14-2016, 07:27 PM
I like framed stuff too. But seldom buy it. I do my own framing.

When I see something framed It always makes me wonder.

Was the framing done reversibly? Or did they glue the item to a backing board. (I have a couple things that were done like that, nothing expensive but it sort of bugs me.)

What are they hiding with the framing? Is that program missing a page or two, or the back cover. Does the nice looking card have back damage?
Most pro framing jobs are sealed with tape, and convincing a seller to cut or remove the tape to be sure the item isn't damaged is harder than it sounds.

Of course if the framing is part of the item or is period or fairly old I can forgive a lot. I bought a big picture of a B-1 that was signed on the mat by some of the engineers I think to celebrate the first test flight or some similar event. But the framing was cheaply done, and water has stuck the photo to the glass. If I could find that photo I'd replace the damaged one with a copy, but until then I just leave it as-is.

Steve B

I like framed items and have gotten several things framed. I've also bought about 3 framed items and thought it was nice to save the cost of getting them framed myself. After reading your post, I'm going to have to rethink my eagerness to buy items already framed. You raise some good points I hadn't thought of.

swarmee
12-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Here's my thoughts: collectors are hunters, first and foremost. They want to be the one to make the find.
A recently framed item means that someone else made that find. That someone else saw the value in the item. That they probably got it for a song, and now they're going to sell it to you at *RETAIL*!!!

For many collectors, seeing something in a frame means we failed at finding it in the wild first.

BruceinGa
12-14-2016, 08:21 PM
I took a class in framing about 15 years ago and do it as a hobby. I've framed a few Baseball Magazine's Player Posters and some copies of early team photos.
I don't have any high dollar items to be framed but still try to be conscious of any old items and frame them accordingly.

HRBAKER
12-14-2016, 08:22 PM
I Love Framed Stuff
My walls are loaded (or were)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/DSC02717.jpg http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/DSC02719.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/DSC02714.jpg http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/waners_zps6f352513.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/Ott.jpg http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/sunnyjim_zps582eb48b.jpg

BruceinGa
12-15-2016, 05:08 AM
I Love Framed Stuff
My walls are loaded (or were)

Wow, fantastic!

MVSNYC
12-15-2016, 05:41 AM
I really enjoy owning and displaying framed pieces, but it's very personal and specific to each piece, so I prefer to design it myself with the framer, versus buying things already framed. As others have eluded to, it's very important to use all archival materials (acid-free matting, UV glass, etc). I also prefer framing an item by itself, feels more museum-like. I see too many framed pieces that try to incorporate too many components, and they end up looking too cluttered, and cheap quite frankly...I like to keep it more minimal, feels more special in my opinion.

1880nonsports
12-15-2016, 07:34 AM
for a company that included cards within it's product - and it managed to survive nearly 150 years..................
it's good enough for me. Yes - it's most often harder to sell something framed for the reasons stated above - and YES IT'S EXPENSIVE when done right - but it hasn't stopped me from doing so. I framed some albums - sample to make both points included. Makes it easier for me to appreciate the artistry and provides a bit controlled elegance.

BruceinGa
12-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Wow, thanks for posting.
This is all that I have to show:
Sorry, not BB related.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/BruceinGa/20161206_100016_zpshfxi5s6u.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/BruceinGa/media/20161206_100016_zpshfxi5s6u.jpg.html)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/BruceinGa/20161206_095902_zpsaswked4q.jpg

z28jd
12-15-2016, 08:54 AM
If I want something framed, I have my dad do it. He does woodworking for a living and he is creative with baseball items

Snapolit1
12-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Funny, I bought a fantastic photo at Christie's this summer and its still sitting in the cardboard they shipped it in. I've gone back and forth on getting it framed, for many of the pros and cons discussed above. And I'm still on the fence. I had a terrible flood in my house last year -- from an upstairs bedroom radiator straight down to the basement -- and I am very paranoid about putting anything valuable on the wall.

Bpm0014
12-15-2016, 08:59 AM
I firmly believe that any photo should be in a nice frame on a wall. I couldn't even imagine buying a Conlan or other nice photo and keeping it stored away or in a dumb clear PSA holder. I've just (finally) started appreciating photos and I have every single one in a frame on my walls. I couldn't imagine them any other way!

AustinMike
12-16-2016, 06:17 AM
This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Is there any way to tell whether the glass, matting, etc. in a framed item is archival quality? Could I or my local framing shop, after removing the backing, be able to tell if the glass is UV protected, the matting is acid free, etc.?

BruceinGa
12-16-2016, 08:57 AM
This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Is there any way to tell whether the glass, matting, etc. in a framed item is archival quality? Could I or my local framing shop, after removing the backing, be able to tell if the glass is UV protected, the matting is acid free, etc.?

The reverse of the mat board may still have the type printed on it, rag mat etc. Other than that I don't know. I believe some frame shops may have a sticker or other indication on the back indicating archival quality.

conor912
12-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Put it in direct sunlight for the summer. That'll give you your answer :D

brob28
12-16-2016, 11:39 AM
I love framing stuff...

Steven, that room looks incredible very well done!! Just curious how you have organized the CJ's that are framed or if its random?

steve B
12-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Not a great picture, but here's some cycling stuff I framed. Poster, snapshot, racing license and some medals from Julio Capdepont, Uruguayan national champ at inseperable teams back in the 20's.

The frame is a kit where you buy the sides individually, so you can make a lot of different sizes. I think the sides range from 4 inches to 24+ in 2 inch steps.
Bought the UV glass at a local framing shop that's not there anymore.
Cut the mats myself, 3-4 layers, to leave room for the medals.

I might not have framed the stuff, but felt bad that all that stuff including the national championship medal only went for a bit less than dinner at a decent chain restaurant. I figured even long gone he deserved a bit better than the stuff representing his career being stuck in holders in a box on another continent.

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3871

steve B
12-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Should have added that the green that matches the paper the poster is on was an obvious choice as it's the color used for most of the Bianchi pro bikes, and Bianchi was his sponsor. Sort of like Ferraris being red.

Steve B

AustinMike
12-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Put it in direct sunlight for the summer. That'll give you your answer :D

Yeah, that would do it. :eek:

MartyFromCANADA
12-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Great stuff fellas. Here's what I have done. :)

spaidly
12-17-2016, 07:42 AM
My thoughts on why some (many?) collectors, including me, are not fans of framing cards is it takes them out of circulation. Photos, I get, but cards were intended to be traded whether for money or other cards and for me there is a psychological thing where framing a card means it has met its final resting place. I think it is cool if that is the intent as the displays in this thread are amazing and collectors can and should do anything they want. I guess you could crack them out if need be when you know you framed them properly, which is why several people in this thread don't like buying pre-framed stuff as you can't be sure in those cases. The framed graded cards mitigate this yet put the cards in a "double jail", which seems weird and awesome to me at the same time.

For me, my entire collection must have the ability to be liquidated relatively quickly. I don't churn my collection a lot but I have this innate feeling that I need the ability to trade anything at anytime. When I was a kid and collected in the mid-seventies, cards were the equivelant of cash between me and my friends. Hope this makes sense.

Scott

cguidi
12-17-2016, 03:18 PM
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/584584b9e58c6295c564ee8b/t/584ef9dcbe6594f67578dfef/1481576798931/?format=750w

You can pop your graded cards in an out of these custom matted frames pretty easily!

spaidly
12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
You can pop your graded cards in an out of these custom matted frames pretty easily!

Your timing is impeccable.

Stampsfan
12-19-2016, 02:17 AM
These displays are fantastic. Two thoughts prevail...

One of the problems I have is I've recently finished my basement in a downsized place (kids are gone). Put up many vintage items, and I'm out of wall space. I couldn't put up cards, photos, autographed items without taking something down.

Second, last night we were at friends house, sitting in their newly renovated basement. Beautiful home, professionally done, and they have a few bucks too (now please forgive the hockey reference, but the thought is the same). On his walls are many autographed and unautographed pictures in displays that he picked up all in one day at Costco. Wayne Gretzky autographed 11x18, Sidney Crosby photos, Gordie Howe autographed jersey... everything professionally framed. And I walked away unimpressed. His wife thought she was telling me something interesting when she said "... and these little hologram stickers show you that they're real." Nothing collected or searched out, all Costco type things. He spent thousands on these photos, so autographed, and others are just multi photo framed collages of Steve Nash, Ali, and others.

Our new basement looks "cluttered" (according to my wife), and while yeah, it is, it is also a lifetime of collecting "clutter".

Not sure where I'm going with this, except I'd rather have my hard to find clutter, than a Bradford Plate type wanna be.

Regards,
Bob