PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on YMCA Ty Cobb c1917 125 pro model bat

toukerb
12-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Hello net54Baseball forum users,

I've recently picked up at set of YMCA c1917 baseball equipment (louisville slugger bat and chest protector). The bat has a taped handle, and wonder if it would be a good idea to remove the tape to make sure that the handle has no cracks (no signs of cracks through the tape). I understand that tape was sometimes used to 'fix' cracks, but also have read that it was also applied to enhance the grip. I would appreciate any thoughts which you would care to share with me on this issue.

I would also be grateful for any ideas you may have on the condition of these pieces, as I am a complete newbie in this field, and am unable to grade them.

Photos are available at http://www.lavenant.net/Curiosities/Curios/Pages/Ty_Cobb_YMCA_bat_and_chest_protector.html

Thanks in advance :),

Marc

khkco4bls
12-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Marc,what's the length of the cobb bat the chest protect is probably worth about 150 to 300 I think it's from the thirties or so

toukerb
12-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Hello khkco4bls,

The bat is just over 33". I believe the YMCA designation present on both pieces corresponds to a shipment of sports equipment, organized by the YMCA, destined for US servicemen fighting in Europe during WWI. These pieces come from an attic in the Marne region of France, which was the site of several famous battles during that war.

All the best,

Marc

MGHPro
12-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Thats probably grip tape. I would leave it alone
Matt

khkco4bls
12-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Like Matt said I'd leave the tape alone