PDA

View Full Version : 1968-71 Washington Senators Pants

sb1
12-13-2016, 03:01 PM
I have what are supposedly 1968-1971(mostly 1969 & 1970) Washington Senators pants only :( , powder blue and the off white. They are in pretty rough shape, I believe they came when the Senators moved to Texas and may have been used at one time(practice??) by the Rangers after the move and then made their way into the public, How I don't know. There are about 12 pairs of each, most with the sizes stitched and names either written or numbers stitched(or both).

Can anyone tell me if these are in fact the real deal and if they have any value, especially given the condition, basically worn out, with many repairs, probably while in MLB use and later.

I can add more scans if needed.

Scott

icollectDCsports
12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
I don't have a value to give you. Would vary depending on the player, but lesser name players wouldn't bring much.

sb1
12-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Kind of what I figured, obviously there is no Ted Williams or Frank Howard, there are several players that played during the Senators/Rangers transition but no major stars and the pants are pretty rough.

icollectDCsports
12-13-2016, 08:26 PM
One factor that may make a particular pair of pants desirable to a collector is if the collector already has that player's jersey and wants to complete the uniform. I have a Senators jersey with the matching pants. I got them at the same time and it's kind of nice to have both. So, as far as price goes, you never know. Maybe give them a try individually on eBay.

baseball tourist
12-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Those are cool. Pants are the ugly sister of uniform collecting unfortunately. But as mentioned before, matching one's jersey with the correct pants can make a display. I have a few pairs and would be psyched to add one of these to my collection if I collected the team. These have some age and reasonable scarcity going for them too. I would do the research to try and tie them to particular players and go from there. Good luck!

Runscott
12-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Scott, I would check out Mears past results. If someone wore it in a game, Mears auctions it.

steve B
12-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Interesting stuff.

A quick look.

neither number 15 or 37 were used in 1970 (For players, I didn't see a coaches listing)
Both were used in 1969.

But the written names.........

in 69 number 37 was Dave Baldwin, traded to Milwaukee on Dec 4 except these are labeled Rhyne.

Number 15 was Zoilo Versalles. But only from July 26 till April 6 1970 when he was released.
So not much making sense there especially with the size difference.
But..........
They had a guy named Dick Baldwin in the minors in 69-70
And a Ken Rhyne also in the minors.

So as a guess, they were Versalles and D Baldwins pants, that got sent down to the minors for the 1970 season. (Although that's maybe a little odd since the players weren't on the same minor league team.) Or perhaps used in spring training? Or both?

Interesting stuff.

Steve B