PDA

View Full Version : Balto Collectors Dinner Washington Times

danmckee
12-10-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't bring this stuff out often but it was my turn to host the 35 year old Baltimore Collector's Dinner. I thought I would post a few pictures of my goodies that I had displayed for the community. Have a very Happy Holiday Leon and everyone!

Dan Mckee

danmckee
12-10-2016, 08:45 PM
We had 26 People and a nice showing from young to 85 year old collectors showing off their goods!! I t was an excellent success!

oldjudge
12-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Amazing stuff Dan! I can't think of a better host.

danmckee
12-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Amazing stuff Dan! I can't think of a better host.

You are too kind ! I really enjoyed it!

brass_rat
12-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Awesome, Dan!! So glad to hear that you had a great time! Makes me wish I lived in the area!

Steve

Wahoowa
12-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. I had wondered what image was used for the Washington Times WaJo. It's a great looking card!

Bicem
12-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Yowsers

ValKehl
12-10-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. I had wondered what image was used for the Washington Times WaJo. It's a great looking card!

Dan's Darby Chocolates WaJo card isn't too shabby either! But, what I don't see is Dan's other to-die-for WaJo that he outbid me for many years ago on eBay, back in the day when you could readily tell who you were bidding against. Dan later told me that he had put in his max bid, and that if I had bid a teensy bit more, I would have won this card. I still have nightmares about it!

Dan, I hope all is going well for you and yours.

Hey Wahoowa, are we EVER again gonna beat VaTech at football?
Val (Wahoo class of 1965)

kkkkandp
12-11-2016, 05:36 AM
I don't bring this stuff out often but it was my turn to host the 35 year old Baltimore Collector's Dinner. I thought I would post a few pictures of my goodies that I had displayed for the community. Have a very Happy Holiday Leon and everyone!

Dan Mckee

Geez, Dan! You need to pick up your collecting pace. You don't have nearly enough good stuff! ;)

THAT is very impressive. I'm sure all your guests had their mouths agape as well.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

Kevin

rjackson44
12-11-2016, 05:51 AM
Great Walter my dream card wow thanks

Mark70Z
12-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Dan,

What do I need to do to get invited to the Baltimore Collectors Dinner?!? I want to view all that great stuff up close and personal. Of course pictures are the next best thing. Can you please give a little detail on what the history is on this event?

Since I don't currently collect pre-war I'm not sure which Wajo card individuals are referring (I know, that's probably sacrilege :D). While I did enjoy viewing all the cards on display I really love all the Orioles and Colts pennants. There's a few on the wall I've never seen before. Any other pics of the pennants?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Joe_G.
12-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Fantastic stuff Dan, you may become the permanent host with material like that. Could you share a better picture of the OJs and the one (or two) Phenomenal Smith portraits? Thank you for sharing.

Michael Peich
12-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Fantastic, Dan. Wish I could have joined you!!

Cheers,
Mike

Kawika
12-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Holy Moses!
On a somewhat related note, I can't get the Baltimore Colts "test" scene from the movie "Diner" out of my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3VuRbizDs

Wahoowa
12-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Hey Wahoowa, are we EVER again gonna beat VaTech at football?
Val (Wahoo class of 1965)

Hey Val. Maybe one day, but I'm fine with it as long as our basketball and baseball teams keep it up. I just remind my Hokie brother-in-law that we have 24 national championships to their 1 (non-ncaa bass fishing.. fitting). Thanks again for that T222 McBride you traded to me a few years back, still my only Nat in the set.

danmckee
12-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Dan,

What do I need to do to get invited to the Baltimore Collectors Dinner?!? I want to view all that great stuff up close and personal. Of course pictures are the next best thing. Can you please give a little detail on what the history is on this event?

Since I don't currently collect pre-war I'm not sure which Wajo card individuals are referring (I know, that's probably sacrilege :D). While I did enjoy viewing all the cards on display I really love all the Orioles and Colts pennants. There's a few on the wall I've never seen before. Any other pics of the pennants?

Thanks so much for sharing!

We have been meeting for about 30 years now. It started out as just the local Baltimore collectors of the turn of the Century Baltimore stuff.

We would usually have it at a Country Club because one of the collectors was a member there. Than it moved to another collector's house in the Mt Washington area of Baltimore.

This was my 1st time hosting and John and Carla Conigliaro of Great Moments hosted with me at my house.

If I get to host again, I will send you an invite.

Thanks for all of the kind words guys and Joe..... not a soul at the party asked me anything about the OJ's! I was bummed! But thank you and I will take a better picture of them and post it.

It should be 1 pose of each of the Balto players and I filled in the bottom right corner gap with my Buck Ewing Gypsy Queen.

Dan

danmckee
12-11-2016, 10:21 AM

My pictures stink I know but if you look at the top right of the Wash Times case, you will see a photocopy of the Times article that had the WaJo pose in it.

Credit given to Tim Caffey of T206Resource for finding me the Cobb and WaJo Times articles that showed the same poses that were used for the cards.

Dan

sycks22
12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Seeing that many Baltimore News cards in one place is amazing. Gorgeous

danmckee
12-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Fantastic stuff Dan, you may become the permanent host with material like that. Could you share a better picture of the OJs and the one (or two) Phenomenal Smith portraits? Thank you for sharing.

Here you go Joe.

danmckee
12-11-2016, 10:59 AM
OJ's
http://luckeycards.com/oj1.jpg

danmckee
12-11-2016, 11:00 AM
OJ's2
http://luckeycards.com/oj2.jpg

danmckee
12-11-2016, 11:01 AM
1915 Balto Terrapins Pennant
http://luckeycards.com/oj3.jpg

Leon
12-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Here you go Joe.

Great Stuff Dan'o....thanks for sharing and hope all is well for you.

danmckee
12-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Thank you Kindly Leon, yea I figured I better snap some pics before wife forces me to clean the walls!

Mark70Z
12-11-2016, 02:53 PM
WOW! That Terrapins pennant is awesome...

Thanks so much for posting concerning the dinner; appreciate it.

matty39
12-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Dan, Thank you for posting your marvelous collection. I am a small time Federal league collector and was stunned to see two Terrapin pennants on the same wall. I saw one at the convention in Baltimore several years ago and another at the Babe Ruth museum, but two...wow. And all those Baltimore News under one glass. Congrats and thanks for posting. It made my day.

brian1961
12-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Dan, A marvelous array of the Washington Times and Baltimore News. Truly amazing. Congratulations, sir.

If you wouldn't mind sharing what you know, how were the Washington Times cards distributed? Did the newspaper have stipulations or requirements for the recipient of such beautiful cards?

Are Washington Times / Baltimore News cards precisely the same size and thickness? Are they thicker than the Cracker Jack series? It would seem both of these issues were designed and printed by the same firm, whoever that might have been.

Regardless, thank you most sincerely for sharing this sumptuous visual feast of pre-war cards that would never be ranked among the ordinary. Extraordinary would be appropriate!:D

Wishing you well. ---Brian Powell

rubesman
12-12-2016, 06:49 AM
The items in Dan's photo's are a fraction of what he displayed at his gathering, and his display was a tiny fraction of his collection. His collection is exceeded only by his knowledge, which he is always willing to share. The event was as wonderful as the hosts, Dan and John (and their wives). We all appreciate greatly the effort they put in and their contributions to the hobby.
Rich Rubin

glchen
12-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Beautiful collection, Dan! I love that Ty Cobb card!

FourStrikes
12-12-2016, 02:40 PM
insanely great stuff - AMAZING collection!

dstudeba
12-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Thank you Dan, love the Washington Times, incredible to see so many together.

I didn't see the Josie Heard though.

autograf
12-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Great photos from a great guy! Wish I was close enough to stop in to see all that stuff. The cards in the cases are just phenomenal. Thanks for the glimpse!