PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps - Trimmed Value

HawkFan70
12-09-2016, 07:03 PM
I have run across a collection of 1952 Topps cards that have been severely trimmed. Basically the entire white border has been cut off leaving only the picture.

There are about 100 cards in total. Fifty of the cards are high numbers including Mathews, Robinson, Reese and Dickey. Amazing find but painful to look through knowing the cards are so damaged.

Any idea on how to value these cards as part of a collection that I may buy and is there anyone who might actually slab the star cards? The Robinson and Mathews actually have no creases and sharp pictures...other than the cutting damage.

Thanks for your advice and help!

bnorth
12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Maybe 10% of what you would pay in the same condition with borders. As an example I paid $125 for a 1939 Playball Ted Williams rookie that had the white border completely cut off. Otherwise the card was in excellent condition with no creases.

irv
12-09-2016, 07:27 PM
I have run across a collection of 1952 Topps cards that have been severely trimmed. Basically the entire white border has been cut off leaving only the picture.

There are about 100 cards in total. Fifty of the cards are high numbers including Mathews, Robinson, Reese and Dickey. Amazing find but painful to look through knowing the cards are so damaged.

Any idea on how to value these cards as part of a collection that I may buy and is there anyone who might actually slab the star cards? The Robinson and Mathews actually have no creases and sharp pictures...other than the cutting damage.

Thanks for your advice and help!

That would be painful!! :eek:

I believe there is a seller/member on here who has similar looking cards, and IIRC, he didn't sell them, at least publicly.

10% sounds about correct, but even then, you still need a buyer.

Good luck.

HawkFan70
12-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the quick responses!

I know PSA wouldn't slab them but would SGC or Beckett?

swarmee
12-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Why wouldn't PSA slab them? All the companies would probably slab them Authentic - Altered.

irv
12-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Why wouldn't PSA slab them? All the companies would probably slab them Authentic - Altered.

My thoughts as well, but I don't understand the desire to get them slabbed? :confused:

swarmee
12-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Since many are high numbers, you would do well with someone who needs placeholders for these cards in a set. But then, probably not worth paying the grading fees. Someone who is collecting a raw 1952 set would buy them after having them in hand and feeling that they're right.

HawkFan70
12-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I thought it would be cool to have the 3 or 4 big name cards graded. I would probably keep them as part of my collection.

The reason that I didn't think that PSA would grade them is that I've had several cards in the past come back ungraded because they weren't the right dimensions for the card. Wouldn't they do the same thing with these cards?

You guys are probably right that they would be placeholders for people who will replace them later.

Thanks for all the comments!

swarmee
12-09-2016, 09:13 PM
If you do not specify that you will accept Authentic grades by checking the "Any grade" box, they will return your "MINSIZREQ" (short) cards without charging you the grading fee. However, if they note that they are altered, they will either slab them (if you selected Any grade) or return them with the Altered - Trimmed designation on the soft sleeve you sent them in and charge you a grading fee.

Beatles Guy
12-09-2016, 09:55 PM
I sold a lot recently of abused '52s and they brought about $2 a piece. Many were trimmed, some had holes, paper loss, etc.