PDA

View Full Version : 1935 Tigers autographs

SAllen2556
12-07-2016, 11:07 AM
I recently acquired Gehringer and Greenberg autographs and also own an original 1935 large team photo. Thought it would be fun to collect the other autographs of the major players on that team and somehow hang it all on a wall.

Anyone on the list strike anyone as particularly tough, expensive, commonly forged, or even impossible to find in just cut format? I assume Cochrane has gotta be tough.

I've looked on eBay a bit and but I haven't done enough research yet to get a good feel for them. Any help would be appreciated!

Mickey Cochrane
Hank Greenberg
Charlie Gehringer
Billy Rogell
Marv Owen
Jo-Jo White
Goose Goslin
Pete Fox
Gerald Walker
Ray Hayworth
Flea Clifton
Schoolboy Rowe
Tommy Bridges
General Crowder
Elden Auker
Fred Marberry
Chief Hogsett

Klrdds
12-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Cochrane will be among the easiest to acquire as will most of them. As always it will depend upon the medium you want them on..cuts, checks, documents , etc...

HexsHeroes
12-07-2016, 11:13 AM
. . . to encounter, if you can wait patiently. Signatures on 3x5 or GPC will require even more patience. Cut signatures may get you the quickest opportunities. Cochrane is the most expensive, and likely the most commonly forged of those listed. Rowe and Bridges may take alittle more time than the rest to locate at a reasonable price. Just afew random thoughts off the top of my head. Good Luck on the hunt !!!

Klrdds
12-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Contact Jim Stinson for help . He is the best at the older signatures.

David Atkatz
12-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Contact Jim Stinson for help . He is the best at the older signatures.Absolutely!

BTW, Cochrane personal checks (signed Gordon S. Cochrane) are very common--his widow sent them out freely.

johnmh71
12-07-2016, 06:03 PM
I have most of the names on your list. One that I have had a tough time finding on an index card is Pete Fox. Rowe and Bridges were a challenge but the rest that I have weren't that tough to get.

btcarfagno
12-08-2016, 10:08 AM
I think I might have Pete Fox on an index card. I definitely have two Goudey premiums signed by him.

Tom C

HexsHeroes
12-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Actually, I take back my comments. Obviously was not thinking, as there is one former 1935 Detroit Tigers ballplayer that will be challenging: Clyde Hatter. I believe there was a separate thread dedicated to him about one month ago. Or was it posted in the BST Autograph section? I do not recall.

Also, I have tended to find that backup catcher Frank Reiber is infrequently encountered too. Others might feel the same for pitcher Carl Fischer. But no doubt (in my mind) that Clyde Hatter will be both your most challenging to locate, and most expensive to purchase.

[edited to add link to prior Clyde Hatter thread in Autograph BST} http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230640&highlight=hatter

SAllen2556
12-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice - very helpful on all fronts!

jimtb
12-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Many of the 1935 Tigers were alive when the 1974 TCMA set came out. They pop up signed on ebay every so often. It's a nice way to get a signed card from this great team.