PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Charles Lindbergh??

jgmp123
12-05-2016, 03:41 PM
I am looking to add a nice Lindbergh to my collection...anyone feel one way or the other on this flight cover? And if he ever used a stamp?

Klrdds
12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
I am not an authority on Lindbergh by any reason but I do know he was heavily forged from the 30s to the 60s especially on covers and bookplates and book inscriptions. In fact his wife used to sign for him I once read and was told by a dealer in autographs and books the same thing. I waited to add Lindbergh to my collection until I found a HLS, which took several years . I then sold it a few years later for 3x what I paid for it.
So I can't opine on your item with confidence nor do I know if he used a stamp.
Sorry I am not of more help.

joed25
12-06-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't like it

Bpm0014
12-07-2016, 06:58 AM
I'm not familiar/comfortable with any autographs other than Ruth. But doesn't that look like a "stamp"? It's just too bold and too perfect when compared to the other handwriting on there....

jgmp123
12-07-2016, 07:50 AM
In my research, I have never known Lindbergh to use a stamp...I don't have the item in hand yet, so I will know if a few days once I can view it better.

Some additional background I have been given on the item is that it was purchased in the late 70's, early 80's from Al Zimmerman's Auctions in New York. Evidently Al and his brother Joe Merman were two key Aviation collectors back then.

If anyone has any additional info or has dealt with Zimmerman's Auction or Al and Joe, please let me know.

Thanks,
James

packs
12-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Here's one I found online for comparison:

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/y/1002/3456.jpg

RichardSimon
12-07-2016, 09:18 AM
I am not versed on his autograph but the writing does not appear to be aged.
The writing on the 2nd cover seems to have aged properly.
Try as hard as they can fake aging attempts usually are poorly done.