PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese - Crossover to PSA

STL1944
11-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Hi All,

I have a 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese BVG 5 that I bought a couple of years ago from a member of this board. Since then I have upgraded and am looking to sell this card. Question for the group: Am I better off trying to cross it over to PSA or should I sell it "as is"?

Thanks!

I apologize about my scans... I cannot for the life of me get it to look clearer...

pclpads
11-29-2016, 09:48 PM
As is. Corner wear, edge chip, snow. Never would x to a PSA 5. Maybe a 4 if the grader is in a generous mood and JO hasn't chewed on his arse earlier. :D

MW1
11-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Even if it were a PSA 4, you'd probably do better (especially with that centering) than if the card remained in the BVG 5 holder. At the very least, you'd get about the same price but be able to sell it much faster.

swarmee
11-30-2016, 03:23 AM
Try to cross with a min grade of 4.5; I would think it has a good shot.

JustinD
11-30-2016, 05:34 AM
I am in the camp of believers that the unwritten rule of PSA is that all competitors cards get a minimum 1 point downgrade even if under graded to keep their reputation of superiority.

Crack it and you would likely get a higher grade than sent slabbed.

Personally I like the BVG cases more as they don't look as cheap as the other companies. However, I am in the minority.

IMHO (name above :))

swarmee
11-30-2016, 05:48 AM
Here's a recap of my recent crossover attempt: pretty good results.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/11604218-post7.html

Leon
11-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Even if it were a PSA 4, you'd probably do better (especially with that centering) than if the card remained in the BVG 5 holder. At the very least, you'd get about the same price but be able to sell it much faster.

+2. I have gotten totally killed on BVG cards lately. I think they grade cards very well but the market doesn't like them. Beckett marketing in the vintage area is shrinking too. It seems their new owners don't care about any vintage, quite honestly.

JustinD
11-30-2016, 10:59 AM
+2. I have gotten totally killed on BVG cards lately. I think they grade cards very well but the market doesn't like them. Beckett marketing in the vintage area is shrinking too. It seems their new owners don't care about any vintage, quite honestly.

Agreed.

As a buyer I seek out BVG in my searches as I find their grading the most accurate, standard and least subjective. In addition, the cases are less likely to be fake or tampered. It's also fantastic to get a great deal on a beautiful card because someone feels that Kleenex is better than Puffs.

As a seller, you sadly need to crack and send to PSA to get the best return.