PDA

View Full Version : 1927 Middy Bread

terjung
11-29-2016, 02:07 PM
With the prevalent reprints of the 1927 Middy Bread set around, I'm interested in knowing definitive ways of telling the originals from the reprints that have been cut from the black backgrounds and artificially aged.

Searching the archives, I've read that the "Printed in U.S.A." text on the lower left corner is supposed to be crisp on the originals, but beyond that, I don't have a bunch to go on.

I want to purchase a George Sisler from this set for my collection, but want to learn more about them before doing so. Thanks in advance!

h2oya311
11-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Good luck with your search Brian.

I've been on the lookout for a Chick Hafey for years. I, too, am nervous about aged reprints. I believe the dimensions should be 2.25"x4" on the originals. If I recall correctly, the reprints are usually smaller.

bcbgcbrcb
11-29-2016, 03:04 PM
I think you will be able to tell the fake from real easily enough, I wouldn't worry about that too much. You're both experienced enough vintage card collectors. Finding a Hafey is another story. Looked for over 10 years and never found one individually for sale or auction.

terjung
11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
I think you will be able to tell the fake from real easily enough, I wouldn't worry about that too much. You're both experienced enough vintage card collectors. Finding a Hafey is another story. Looked for over 10 years and never found one individually for sale or auction.

I appreciate the compliment. It isn't so much the "in person" sales that concern me. It is more like the cards shown in this link. Had I been in the market for the Sisler Middy at that time, I may have taken a stab.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/20732456_3-1927-middy-bread-die-cut-cards-with-sisler

I didn't realize the reprints were a different size. That is very helpful. Any other tips? I'm wondering how consistent the cuts were on the originals. Anybody have any insight on that?

h2oya311
11-30-2016, 02:25 PM
I appreciate the compliment. It isn't so much the "in person" sales that concern me. It is more like the cards shown in this link. Had I been in the market for the Sisler Middy at that time, I may have taken a stab.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/20732456_3-1927-middy-bread-die-cut-cards-with-sisler

I didn't realize the reprints were a different size. That is very helpful. Any other tips? I'm wondering how consistent the cuts were on the originals. Anybody have any insight on that?

Those look pretty legit. Looks like you weren't the only one to find that lot on liveauctioneers.

I've had so many bad experiences on that site that I hardly ever check anything on that website any more. A few years ago there was a little known auction house that auctioned off several T206 Uzits without identifying them in the item description or title. I wasn't the only to find them though, so I missed out on any deals.

For those who are interested, never, I repeat NEVER, buy from Pioneer Auction Gallery (also on Liveauctioneers). They once pictured a T206 in a PSA 8 holder and just said "t206" in the auction description. I paid over $600 for the card (still thinking I was getting a deal) and was sent a common worth about $8. What a hassle to get a refund! And the cost to ship the card back, etc. Ugh! Never again. I also got a '79 OPC Gretzky reprint (oops) from a different auction house in a different liveauctioneers experience.

Anyway, again, the ones you showed in the link look good to me, but I am always concerned when anything is sold via liveauctioneers.

terjung
11-30-2016, 04:23 PM
The problem is that they weren't legit. If I read the archives correctly, they fooled a very knowledgable veteran collector here. Apparently, they were the reprints that were cut out, had a backing applied to them, and had been soaked in coffee. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Anyway, it is this kind of thing that I'm trying to avoid.

h2oya311
11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
The problem is that they weren't legit. If I read the archives correctly, they fooled a very knowledgable veteran collector here. Apparently, they were the reprints that were cut out, had a backing applied to them, and had been soaked in coffee. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Anyway, it is this kind of thing that I'm trying to avoid.

whoa! That's one heck-of-a reprint job! And smart to do two commons along with Sisler...

Well, at least my comment about not trusting AH's that are selling on liveauctioneers.com is still valid! My argument just got stronger!

terjung
11-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Here are the links...

The first one shows they were the same size as the reprints.

The second one includes a bit of a discussion I believe about these three cards in the first line.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181975&highlight=middy

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180948&highlight=middy

danmckee
11-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Yes that looks like the same ones I got smoked with

they are Fritsch reprints cut out and aged

Once in hand, it is easy to tell they are fakes

SGC helped me get my money back by writing a letter that they were no good

Dan Mckee

terjung
11-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks for responding, Dan. Have you learned anything else to help you differentiate real from faked reprints online? ...and do you know where to find a real Sisler? :)

Leon
12-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Agree with Dan...
Different size and much poorer lithography is what I have seen too, especially with the smallest letters.
Thanks for responding, Dan. Have you learned anything else to help you differentiate real from faked reprints online? ...and do you know where to find a real Sisler? :)

from collection numero uno...

http://luckeycards.com/pduncmiddybread1920s2x.jpg

terjung
12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm not used to you posting cards without a quarter in them, Leon!

In this case, I was actually looking for it for scale since we were talking about their size compared to the reprints. Bummer!

Thanks for posting them anyway!

shagrotn77
07-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Reviving an old thread here. Has a Hafey surfaced over the last few years?

shagrotn77
07-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Bump.

h2oya311
07-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Reviving an old thread here. Has a Hafey surfaced over the last few years?

Andy - I've continued to have my eye out for Hafey and still haven't seen one for sale. Oh well. Good luck to you!

JollyElm
07-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Man, that company should have hired a better firm to develop their name and image. When I saw the title of this thread, all I saw was 'Moldy' Bread.

terjung
07-29-2020, 04:31 PM
I haven't seen an new Middy Bread cards in quite a while. I'm still on the hunt for a Sisler one myself. Thanks for the reminder and the thread bump. If anyone has a scan of a Middy Bread card, I'd love to see it - especially if it has something in it for scale.

bcbgcbrcb
07-29-2020, 04:48 PM
I believe the scale is very similar but not identical to the 1926 Kut-Outs Yankees/Giants. Another very tough issue to find but a bit easier than Middy Bread. As Derek knows, that's another set with a couple of HOF rookies in Combs & Lazzeri as well as a very early Gehrig.

terjung
07-30-2020, 02:20 PM
The thing I'm trying to determine is if there is definitive proof that the images from the reprints were done at a different scale than the authentic Middy Bread cards. I have a set of the reprints (for fun and for scale reference). What I don't have is an authentic Middy Bread card with a scale in it. (I'd far rather something other than just the SGC holders being used as the scale.)

Why didn't you put a quarter in those scans, Leon?!? ;)