PDA

View Full Version : For METS Fans

RichardSimon
11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Nice to have a son at ESPN to get me quick news,,
Cespedes signs with Mets for 4 yrs at $110 million

Jim65
11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Great news, now the pitching has to be healthy.

Snapolit1
11-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Great news. I still think we need an upgrade behind the plate. D'Arno is strictly second tier, and always hurt. I think the pitchers preferred anyone but him last year, though of course no one would say that publicly. And he couldn't throw me out 50% of the time.

Bruce is a dilemma. Clearly odd man out, but I just think he's got a few great seasons left in him. I might take a chance and trade Grandy.

CharleyBrown
11-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Great news. I still think we need an upgrade behind the plate. D'Arno is strictly second tier, and always hurt. I think the pitchers preferred anyone but him last year, though of course no one would say that publicly. And he couldn't throw me out 50% of the time.

Bruce is a dilemma. Clearly odd man out, but I just think he's got a few great seasons left in him. I might take a chance and trade Grandy.

While Grandy had a rough year on the field last year, he's probably a huge asset in the clubhouse. He gels with the team, and clearly enjoys being a Met. That being said, I'm biased because my son adores him, and he's top notch with the kids.

clydepepper
11-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Great news, now the pitching has to be healthy.

I wonder if anyone remembers Paul Wilson.

Have we see this movie before?

m

Jim65
11-30-2016, 07:19 PM
I wonder if anyone remembers Paul Wilson.

Have we see this movie before?

m

Not sure what you're saying, because its the same team, they will end up like Paul Wilson? With the exception of Matz, all of the Mets young starters have already had more success than Paul Wilson.

The-Cardfather
12-11-2016, 11:37 PM

I couldn't agree more!

I think that most fans have given up on d'Arnoud by now, but for some unknown reason management/ownership hasn't. And I don't understand why!!!!

The Tampa Bay Rays recently signed Wilson Ramos to a two-year deal for $12.5 million ($6.25 million per year). IMO that was a huge bargain. Why weren't the Mets interested in him??? (It's a rhetorical question.)

Lastly...... David Wright. I love David Wright. He always says the right thing. He's very charitable with his time and money. He was a great choice for team captain.
But having said all of that...... It's time for David to retire - gracefully; before he embarrasses himself. He no longer has the physical skills necessary to be anything like the David Wright of old.
Do the Mets have a back-up plan (other than the aging Jose Reyes and "Weeping" Wilmer Flores) for when (not if) Wright goes on the D.L.?

It's frustrating to me, because I know that with Cespedes and the young stud pitching staff, the Mets are 2-3 players away from returning to the World Series.

clydepepper
12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Not sure what you're saying, because its the same team, they will end up like Paul Wilson? With the exception of Matz, all of the Mets young starters have already had more success than Paul Wilson.

I was comparing the anticipation and buildup for this new group and the fact that they have all suffered injuries already.

The Mets Top-10 Baseball America Prospects prior to the 1995 season included:

1.) Bill Pulsipher (missed 1996 with injury)
2.) Paul Wilson (missed 1999 with injury)
5.) Jason Isringhausen (missed 1998 with injury)

These three were highly touted in those days - even though, as you said, they never accomplished nearly as much at the Major League level as the current crop.

It just seems like the two groups are connected through hype or injury or both.

One can only hope that the current group will recover from their various injuries...the first group was never the same (though Isringhausen became a decent closer for a few years).

-