PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Bay Area show November 26

oaks1912
11-22-2016, 10:44 AM
The 32nd Annual Sports Collectors show will be held this Saturday November 26 at St Leanders Church (Ryan O'Connell Hall) located at 575 West Estudillo in San Leandro. The show features 75 tables (SOLD OUT) covering more than a century of sports items (Cards, Memorabilia, New & Old, Graded & Raw, Several sports). Show hours are 9 AM - 4PM... Admission is $4 (Print this notice for $1 off a single admission) .... No celebrity signings or grading services will be present.....DIRECTIONS DRIVING BY CAR.. Interstate 880 to Davis Street .Exit EAST on Davis.Stay on Davis for approximately 1 mile to Carpentier (1 Block past San Leandro Blvd). Turn right on Carpentier .Stay on Carpentier for 1 block to West Estudillo.Turn right on West Estudillo. One half block on West Estudillo.Turn left into parking lot. 575 West Estudillo is the address.......... TAKE BART (Fremont or Dublin/Pleasanton train) to the San Leandro station. The hall is located directly across the street from the SAN LEANDRO BART station. Need more info...Email me at mark_macrae@comcast.net

Exhibitman
11-22-2016, 02:30 PM
So I would fly to Oakland then could take BART to the show? Can't make it this weekend but perhaps the next one.

oaks1912
11-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Adam....Its really easy from Oakland Airport. Near the taxi stand, take the Airport to Bart light rail ($6 each way) , about an 8 minute ride. When you arrive at BART take the southbound BART train for 1 stop (3 minutes) That costs about $2 each way. As you approach the San Leandro station, you'll see the church property on the east side of the tracks. You exit the station and cross at the crosswalk and literally run into the building. We've had several visitors over the years (mostly West Coasters) that fly in for the day. No need to waste time at the rental car desk. The return trip is just as easy...In a few years, we'll both be eligible for senior rates and that will cut the costs in half :)

Beastmode
11-22-2016, 10:24 PM
this is not far from me. I may come on buy with my son. thanks for the notice.

LuckyLarry
11-24-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm in Napa babysitting grandkids so I'll see you there!
Larry

mattsey9
11-24-2016, 01:26 PM
I missed the Sacramento show due to an appendectomy. Not gonna stop me this time!

Chris Counts
11-25-2016, 11:21 AM
I always enjoy Mark's shows — they're the best in the San Francisco Bay Area, hands down. They're not too big, but they're packed with almost exclusively vintage stuff, and everybody is really friendly. They remind me of the Southern California Card Club shows from the 1970s. Every time a go, I come home with something special.

TNP777
11-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Glad I saw this thread. I had the directions plugged into my phone, but now see that I can take BART directly to the show from Dublin/Pleasanton. That saves me a bunch of stress right there.

LuckyLarry
11-27-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm in Napa California on babysitting duties, and attended the St Leander's card show that Mark Macrae has hosted for many years. Happy to meet up with OBC members George V, Ed P, Geordie C, and of course Mark.

The venue was an activity center (gym) for a church and the nice church ladies ran the admission table, and the girls basketball team staffed the snack bar. Nice to be able to grab a coke and take a break.

Many dealers had PCL stuff (which I don't really collect) and more vintage than modern cards by far. Of course nothing beats getting to handle and thumb through some cardboard, but when your trying to find those last few cards for your set, nothing is more efficient than an eBay search.

My oldest son (38) got me re-started in collecting when he brought home some Donruss packs in 1988 , he picked up two T205 gold borders from Mark, but my two grandkids would rather buy Pokémon cards lol!

I had a nice time and I'm glad I went. Here are some of my pick-ups:

One goal was to purchase a gift (which I can't say) to send to my OBC Secret Santa exchange mission accomplished.
I did pick up a dozen duplicates (I have the set) 1965/66 Topps hockey including Bobby Hull, a second series checklist, and one of the tough team cards #127 NY Rangers. The team cards don't appear on the checklist and may have been released in short supply these are tough.
Two hits to my list '61 Nu Card Baseball Scoops I paid the asking price ($5) as I felt kind of sorry for the dealer as he looked lonely.
Bargain bin finds $3 each '69 Deckle Joy Foy, '62 Topps Whitey Ford ( both regular and AS cards), '55 Bowman Gil Hodges. '54 Topps Scoops card unscratched, finally a needed '62 Topps football buck.
1952 Bowman small football Art Donovan.
T218 hit the last aviator I need for my set. Then a card of US Grant "Heros of History" (has a Natural Leaf Scrap back) unknown but I thought it was neat. Then a non sports card I've never seen before they are called "Jiggles" (from the '50's)
I bought a near set 1961 Topps "Crazy Cards" for less than .50c a card ex "Ben Franklin did not discover electricity" on back "it discovered him"!
Finally three hits 1962 Topps "Mars Attacks" also two low grade (cheap) duplicates now need just 17 more for my set.
Got a sample pack of card savers this guy is manufacturing they are made out of Mylar and suppose to be the safest way to protect paper based collectibles looks like a great product and I could provide a link to his website if you want to check it out. First time I ever heard that most products including slabs contain oils which can break down cards? www.tcverify.com
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/IMG_0124.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/IMG_0124.jpg.html)