PDA

View Full Version : W551 Cards Best way to tell fakes?

sandmountainslim
11-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Watching a W551 Cobb on ebay and I am super leary of bidding on it even though the price is low. The seller SAYS "it's an original" but the photo is blurry and in a screwdown holder. I also checked their previous auctions and all of them were reprint cards they admitted in the description were reprints. I know the tell tale signs of a fake T206 but these strip cards are a mystery to me. I would link to the auction but I am unsure if that is against the forum rules.

bnorth
11-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Watching a W551 Cobb on ebay and I am super leary of bidding on it even though the price is low. The seller SAYS "it's an original" but the photo is blurry and in a screwdown holder. I also checked their previous auctions and all of them were reprint cards they admitted in the description were reprints. I know the tell tale signs of a fake T206 but these strip cards are a mystery to me. I would link to the auction but I am unsure if that is against the forum rules.

Not against the rule to link to any auction. You are however taking the chance(almost 100%) of members bidding against you.

sandmountainslim
11-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Not against the rule to link to any auction. You are however taking the chance(almost 100%) of members bidding against you.

True. The auction looks so fishy to me though that I haven't bid. I just need to know from now on what to look for in these cards. I am guessing the cardstock is probably the only way to tell meaning no way to know without having one in hand.

Jobu
11-21-2016, 06:27 AM
Easy answer: If all the sellers other auctions are reprints then that is what this one is too.

I don't collect strip cards so don't know much about id'ing a fake, but from a scan the image quality and color are usually off if it is a fake.

Leon
11-21-2016, 06:43 AM
It is difficult to tell some of the fake strip cards on a computer screen. For higher end ones I would suggest buying graded if you aren't super experienced with them (most of the times they are good if graded,) and/or from a reputable person. There are lots of fakes....

To answer the question, personally, I look for fuzzier images and lithography on fakes than on real ones. The image and lines are not as clear on most bad ones.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xw551+cobb .TRS0&_nkw=w551+cobb&_sacat=0

brianp-beme
11-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Saw the listing in question. I don't think you can tell anything about it because it is so blurry, except that the corners look a little suspicious.

Brian

Leon
11-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Saw the listing in question. I don't think you can tell anything about it because it is so blurry, except that the corners look a little suspicious.

Brian

Blurry scans suck