PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Auction Question

jfkheat
11-17-2016, 10:20 PM
I have bid with other auction houses but never bid on anything with Heritage until this current auction. In reading the auction rules I thought the items ended like most other auction houses, with the 15 or 30 minute rule. I just went to place bids on some of the cards that I had already placed bids and something popped up about placing bids in the live auction. I followed the link but don't see a live card auction. They just finished a coin auction. When is this live card auction? This seem like a very odd way to do an internet auction.
James

I see where I was confused. Unlike most other auctions, Heritage ends each lot individually instead of all items being extended 30 minutes when new bids are placed. This confusion caused me to miss out of a few cards that I really wanted.

Leon
11-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Their auction endings have been the same for years. They used to do a few live card auctions. They don't do live card auctions anymore, for the most part, as I don't think they felt that was the best way to auction cards. And each lot has always ended individually. (personally the way I like them to end)

I have bid with other auction houses but never bid on anything with Heritage until this current auction. In reading the auction rules I thought the items ended like most other auction houses, with the 15 or 30 minute rule. I just went to place bids on some of the cards that I had already placed bids and something popped up about placing bids in the live auction. I followed the link but don't see a live card auction. They just finished a coin auction. When is this live card auction? This seem like a very odd way to do an internet auction.
James

I see where I was confused. Unlike most other auctions, Heritage ends each lot individually instead of all items being extended 30 minutes when new bids are placed. This confusion caused me to miss out of a few cards that I really wanted.

jfkheat
11-18-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks Leon. Like I said, this was my first time bidding in a Heritage auction. Like you, I also like the lots ending individually. If I had read the rules correctly I would have probably won a few cards that ended when they were scheduled to.
James

scooter729
11-18-2016, 07:38 AM
I have bid in many Heritage auctions, but I agree with you that I think something may have been different in their terminology about the live auction aspect. There were references to bid in the live auction, when in fact there was no live auction for last night's cards.

I don't remember that language in their descriptions in the past, though I'm not 100% positive about it.

There were some amazing items in their auction last night, and I was happy to get a few!

iowadoc77
11-18-2016, 08:02 AM
I realize it was my fault, but with the different ending last night, one consigner missed out in at least $500 on a lot I was not able to up my bid on.
Huge fan of heritage, but this one was very frustrating.

jefferyepayne
11-18-2016, 09:04 AM
I came here specifically looking for this discussion today. I can't believe that the one of the biggest auction house on the planet can't make their auction rules clearer. I've been bidding on HA auctions for years and still can never tell whether I've actually won something, an item is truly closed vs. shifting to a Live auction, etc. Their site is confusing at best, its difficult to tell for any auction what the rules are as the stated rules often conflict with text on the pages for a specific auction.

As Jamey mentioned, after I THOUGHT bidding on items was done, you could still type in a new bid and it would pop up a message telling you to go to their Live Auction site to bid further. VERY confusing as I went there multiple times, frantically searching for a Live auction as I was afraid that my high bid was somehow going to be overtaken without me being able to respond. I finally gave up and just went to bed. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

jeff

iowadoc77
11-18-2016, 10:00 AM
I came here specifically looking for this discussion today. I can't believe that the one of the biggest auction house on the planet can't make their auction rules clearer. I've been bidding on HA auctions for years and still can never tell whether I've actually won something, an item is truly closed vs. shifting to a Live auction, etc. Their site is confusing at best, its difficult to tell for any auction what the rules are as the stated rules often conflict with text on the pages for a specific auction.

As Jamey mentioned, after I THOUGHT bidding on items was done, you could still type in a new bid and it would pop up a message telling you to go to their Live Auction site to bid further. VERY confusing as I went there multiple times, frantically searching for a Live auction as I was afraid that my high bid was somehow going to be overtaken without me being able to respond. I finally gave up and just went to bed. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

jeff

Thanks Jeff.
Hope Heritage reads this thread. Much room for improvement. Live auction search was miserable. Will likely just sit next live auction out

Stampsfan
11-18-2016, 12:46 PM
I've been bidding on HA auctions for years and still can never tell whether I've actually won something, an item is truly closed vs. shifting to a Live auction, etc. jeff

+1

Griffins
11-18-2016, 01:08 PM
I had the same problem last nite too- wasn't really sure I'd won anything until I got my daily multiple lots tracked email today, and seemed to indicate I had won last nite.

MR RAREBACK
11-18-2016, 01:32 PM
+2

glchen
11-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't understand how a bidder can't tell that they've won a lot. When you login to Heritage, you can choose to view only those lots that you are winning. The winning lots will appear in green. If the lot is green and says it is Closed, you've won it.

botn
11-18-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't understand how a bidder can't tell that they've won a lot. When you login to Heritage, you can choose to view only those lots that you are winning. The winning lots will appear in green. If the lot is green and says it is Closed, you've won it.

Agreed. It was entirely clear to me what I had won, lost, what I was high bidder on, etc.

jfkheat
11-18-2016, 03:03 PM
When I went to try to raise bids of cards I was interested in it didn't say closed. This was shortly after the regular end time for the auction. I clicked on the card and entered a bid. That is when the live auction thing popped up. Like Jeff, I spent a while trying to find the "live auction". When I first looked there was a live auction for coins but it closed fairly quickly. It wasn't until later that CLOSED showed up beside the items. I had been outbid on everything that I had bid on. I was planning to place more bids during the extended bidding. Oh well, it saved me money that can now be spend elsewhere.
James

glchen
11-18-2016, 03:30 PM
James, for those cards that you were interested, did you already have a previous bid on those cards or was that the first time that you tried to place a bid on that item? If it was the first time, these auctions have a concept of extended bidding where if you did not place an item before the extended period began, then you cannot place a bid on that item. This may have been the issue what you ran into.

For auctions that are also Live, which isn't common with cards, but very common with coins, you can place a bid on an item during the Live part of the auction even if you never had a bid on the item before. That is, the rules are different for auctions that are Live.

pawpawdiv9
11-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Has anyone used Gavelsnipe on a Heritage auction???
I have not, and while I did some reading...if using paypal creditials, you have to disable the secondary SMS security key....blah blah blah...
There is 1 item I am interested in, and pondered using it for this item. But heck, I must be too stupid to figure how to drag or paste a URL...I just cant get the darn thing to work. Screw it and did the standard method...and all I did was jack the price up and got outbidded later on.
I for one am not a late night drinker or party go-er or watching the nightly news hours on end on political jargin...rather have my sleep and whatever happens does.

BruceinGa
11-18-2016, 05:07 PM
I haven't placed a bid with HA but did use Gavelsnipe this past week on eBay, after seeing it mentioned here. What amused me was that when I tried to register it said my id was already in use. I tried my usual password and lol, I had used it three years ago.
I also saw the mention of the SMS security key and ignored it. I won a couple of auctions so it wasn't a problem for me.
Sorry I couldn't help with your question on HA.

jfkheat
11-18-2016, 05:41 PM
James, for those cards that you were interested, did you already have a previous bid on those cards or was that the first time that you tried to place a bid on that item? If it was the first time, these auctions have a concept of extended bidding where if you did not place an item before the extended period began, then you cannot place a bid on that item. This may have been the issue what you ran into.

For auctions that are also Live, which isn't common with cards, but very common with coins, you can place a bid on an item during the Live part of the auction even if you never had a bid on the item before. That is, the rules are different for auctions that are Live.

I had already placed bids. I was trying to raise them.
James

jefferyepayne
11-18-2016, 08:11 PM

That may be true. But the column header on top of the "Closed" column you reference says "Batch Bids". If the column header was "Auction Status" or "Lots Status" then it would be clearer. Also, when a lot says its "Closed", if you go to the lot itself, the lot will still say "In Extended Bidding" and provide a box for you to enter a next bid. If you add a bid it will tell you that you must bid in the Live Auction and will ask if you want to go to their Live Auction site.

All very confusing. Why not just say "Lot Closed" on the Lot page after bidding has been completed and not provide a box to enter an additional bid? That's what ever other auction house on the planet does.

jeff

egbeachley
11-18-2016, 08:38 PM
I thought I was the only one who had problems with Heritage.

Despite the posters saying the bidding works fine, there is clearly an issue. When the "extended bidding" occurs, it won't accept bidding increases and takes you to a "Live Auction" link to proceed there. But that doesn't work. So you are stuck with your last bid and can't increase it.

GoCubsGo32
11-18-2016, 09:42 PM
^^ having the same issue. I'm pissed, that I placed my initial bids in and couldn't enter the extended bid.

iowadoc77
11-18-2016, 10:05 PM
I thought I was the only one who had problems with Heritage.

Despite the posters saying the bidding works fine, there is clearly an issue. When the "extended bidding" occurs, it won't accept bidding increases and takes you to a "Live Auction" link to proceed there. But that doesn't work. So you are stuck with your last bid and can't increase it.

Exactly what I was saying. Quite frustrated to be honest. Eric Recker

Leon
11-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Every one can say what they want to but please remember all opinions need your full name by your post per the rules. thanks

leaflover
11-19-2016, 10:29 AM
When I turned 80 my doctor advised me not to buy green bananas or buy from Heritage.

iowadoc77
11-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Every one can say what they want to but please remember all opinions need your full name by your post per the rules. thanks

Sorry Leon. Post edited to add name.

glynparson
11-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Did anybody experiencing an issue pick up the telephone and give them a call?

3-2-count
11-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Definitely one of the more difficult AH websites to navigate through and know where you stand once the auction has ended.

Forever Young
11-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Agreed. It was entirely clear to me what I had won, lost, what I was high bidder on, etc.

Agree.. it is pretty clear to me too. That said, it is not my first time. Pre-bidding ends.. each lot goes into extended bidding individually with live time left showing. Green winning.. red losing. The end.

Gary! Great pickup! Heritage had some great cards, autos and photos! Good stuff!

glchen
11-19-2016, 06:37 PM
I had already placed bids. I was trying to raise them.
James

Not sure what happened then, unfortunately. Could it be the browser you were using? I think I was using Microsoft Edge, and via iPhone Safari, and had no problems bidding during extended time.

I actually also used gavelsnipe to bid during this past Heritage auction, and it worked perfectly. You just copy the URL from the Heritage page where you are looking to bid on a single item, and put that in gavelsnipe with your bid. Note that the bid is BEFORE BP, and that all increment rules apply. That is, if your snipe isn't higher than the amount of the next increment, the bid will fail. In addition, the snipe is executed right before Extended time begins, so if you haven't placed a previous bid, that is also fine. I usually don't put snipes for Heritage, but wanted to have on for insurance in case I got busy during the auction close time.

Thanks, Ben! Very happy to win that WWG Gehrig card. Really surprised we haven't seen more winnings from Heritage on this board and they had a lot of great stuff.

pawpawdiv9
11-20-2016, 07:11 AM
I had 3 bids and won 2 of them. Thankfully they replaced the RC's I once had.
The only thing this time during payment...that I had to use E-check.

divecchia
11-23-2016, 09:31 PM
This is my first auction win(s) with Heritage, so I had a question. I won 2 lots consisting of just over 180 PSA graded cards and I paid once my invoice was ready using PayPal. My question is, will Heritage send me a tracking number once they ship the my winnings?

Thanks in advance.

Donato

Edited to add: As far as navigating the site it is a little confusing, but I took my time and read all the rules and had a fairly good understanding of how their auctions work.

sycks22
11-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Definitely one of the more difficult AH websites to navigate through and know where you stand once the auction has ended.

Doesn't hold a candle to Hunt. I get lost on the site constantly.