PDA

View Full Version : Q: Which Would You Have Bought?

clydepepper
11-13-2016, 09:08 PM
I purchased one of these cards; I had a bid on the other one - twice as much as the one I purchased:

mighty bombjack
11-13-2016, 10:18 PM
They are both excellent cards, but I greatly prefer on-card autographs to stickers. Therefore, I would prefer the top card. I really don't care about the gem 10 grade, just think it is aesthetically much more pleasing than the bottom card.

But again, they are both sweet cards.

thenavarro
11-13-2016, 10:23 PM
No idea which one costs more, but if I had purchased one of them, it would have been the top one based on aesthetic reasons to me. But some things I enjoy aesthetically, others don't, so truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

clydepepper
11-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Wayne; Mike - You were right. The first one is a whole lot 'purdier' - and besides that it displays both pitchers in their Expos uniforms - which kind of lends the story that they came from the same team (though Pedro started with the Dodgers) and would up in the same place (Cooperstown) on the same stage in the same year - In spite of the fact that they actual came from thousands of miles away from each other (California - Dominican Republic) and inhabit totally different body types.

I had what I thought was a very high MAX BID on that card, but someone else went $10 higher...now I'm kicking myself for not going a little higher, but I had set what was my limit and settled for the second card...not as attractive and not graded but limited to 10 copies instead of 25, and throw in a third HOF pitchers' signature.

I counsel myself by calling this a 'push'.

rjpm

Mr. Zipper
11-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Interesting choice!

I agree the top card is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of signature contrast and graphic design. However, the flip side is the bottom card has Johnson and Martinez pictured in more desirable team uniforms, i.e., Red Sox and Mariners vs. Expos.

clydepepper
11-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Interesting choice!

I agree the top card is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of signature contrast and graphic design. However, the flip side is the bottom card has Johnson and Martinez pictured in more desirable team uniforms, i.e., Red Sox and Mariners vs. Expos.

I don't know about that Steve...there seems to be a large Canadian contingent that feels otherwise.

I get the feeling that those bygone days of the Montreal Expos are both revered and greatly missed by their fan base.

I'm sure, however, the players don't miss that stadium (just ask Andre). As the previous home of the Olympics, Turner Field was much, much better than that place.

(personally, I'd rather have two teams in Canada than any in Florida)

Did I point out that the second card ALSO has Greg Maddux auto?

mtl

Stampsfan
11-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Hmmm.... for me, an easy choice. And it is "purdier"

steve B
11-15-2016, 09:00 AM
I don't know about that Steve...there seems to be a large Canadian contingent that feels otherwise.

I get the feeling that not only are those bygone days of the Montreal Expos are both revered and greatly missed by their fan base.

I'm sure, however, they do not miss that stadium. As the previous home of the Olympics, Turner Field was much, much better than that place...just as Andre Dawson.

(personally, I'd rather have two teams in Canada than any in Florida)

Did I point out that the second card ALSO has Greg Maddux auto?

mtl

I think Turner Field worked because it only used part of the Olympic stadium.

I went to a baseball game and some of the track and field when I went in 96. (Track cycling, Basketball, and Field Hockey too)
I'd have to get the ticket stubs out, but baseball and track were probably on the same day. An interesting trivia thing, attending an event in 1 1/2 major league stadiums on the same day. Someday I'll have to find a way to get to Fenway and Nickerson on the same day.

That makes me wonder how many places that's possible?
Of course NY you can get to two full stadiums on the same day, but how many partial old stadiums are there? The other Boston stadiums are all long gone, but there are some fields near where the south end grounds were.

Tough choice between the two cards. The first is better looking, so If all things were equal I'd probably go for that one.

Steve B

mantleman
11-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Definitely the top one, mainly due to aesthetics. The signatures are much nicer, and the card is less "crammed". As well, not because I am from Canada either, I would have preferred to have them in the Expos uniform. Makes think of what might have been in 1994 !!! Although Randy Johnson was already gone by then. He has such an awesome signature.